* Stabilization Status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm running a series of -funroll-loops tests now.  I'm currently trying to
debug a mis-compilation of stage2 genattrtab.c on the mips targets.  More
details as they're available.

Fun fun fun.
jeff

* Re: Stabilization status
@ 1999-02-19  9:26 Mike Stump
       [not found] ` < 199902191726.JAA28499@kankakee.wrs.com >
From: Mike Stump @ 1999-02-19  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:40:06 +0100 (MET)
> From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>

> Here we also have some duplication, in that the GCC texinfo manual
> and wwwdocs/htdocs/install overlap.

> How should we handle that in the long term?

Yeah, I saw that one coming...  One way to think about it is, the web
site can beta information, and when it proves its value longer term
(how does it do that?), it can move to the texi file.  Also, volatile
information or timely information is better suited to the web.

The texi file is for the really good stuff that you might want to
print into a book and buy a copy of every three years.  If the
information you put into the texi file will quickly be out of date or
wrong, better to not put it in the texi file in the first place.  This
last point might be contentious.

A classic example of something that expires quickly, are random bugs
in the compiler.  The printed form will survive 100+ years, we hope
that the electronic form (the gcc binary people use) doesn't survive a
year.

Also, one can htmlize the texi and remove dups from the web site and
just put in pointers into the htmlized texi.  That way, if you want to
say more in the web version, you can, and then link to the texi for
the base discussion.

* Stabilization status
@ 1999-02-02 10:05 Jeffrey A Law
       [not found] ` < 7453.917978517@hurl.cygnus.com >
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-02 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: meissner

                                    -O0     -O1     -O2     -O9     -Os
alpha-dec-osf4.0a                    failing -- the inline problem
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu          Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20                 Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6            Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
i586-pc-linux-gnu 		     Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
i686-pc-linux-gnu                    Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
m68k-hp-bsd4.4                       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
mips-sgi-irix6.5                     Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
powerpc-ibm-aix4.2.0.0               N  fails building libgcc1
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1       Untested
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1               Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1                 failing -- the inline problem

fixheader/fixproto seem to be spewing out many more warnings/errors than
before.  This needs to be investigated.

I also need to retest alpha-osf & sparc-sunos now that the inline problem
has been fixed.

The ppc port seems to be badly broken.  Meissner?  Any word on getting it
fixed?

jeff

* Stabilization status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

-fomit-frame-pointer tests.  This is a much smaller matrix as most of the
risc targets turn on frame pointer elimination by default at -O1 and higher
optimization levels.

			   -O1		   -O2		   -O9
			 -fo-f-p	 -fo-f-p	 -fo-f-p
i386-pc-freebsd		    Y		    Y		    Y
i586-pc-linux-gnu	    Y		    Y		    Y
i686-pc-linux-gnu	    Y		    Y		    Y
m68k-hp-bsd4.4		    Y		    Y		    Y

* Stabilization status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Jeffrey A Law
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

With the various bugfixes from the last several days things have improved,
except that I've had zero success with rs6000/powerpc platforms.

On AIX 4.1.3 I get relocation overflow errors building chill, even though we're
linking with -Wl,-bbigtoc:

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/usr/local/powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.3.0/bin/  -DIN_GCC   -W -Wall -O2 -g  -Wl,-bbigtoc -o ../cc1chill parse.o actions.o except.o grant.o lang.o tree.o lex.o decl.o typeck.o convert.o expr.o loop.o tasking.o timing.o inout.o satisfy.o ch-version.o \
      `cat ../stamp-objlist`  `if [ xobstack.o != x ]; then echo ../obstack.o; else true; fi` `if [ xalloca.o != x ]; then echo ../alloca.o; else true; fi` `if [ x != x ]; then echo ../; else true; fi` -lld
ld: 0711-783 WARNING: TOC overflow. TOC size: 68200     Maximum size: 65536
        Extra instructions are being generated for each reference to a TOC
        symbol if the symbol is in the TOC overflow area.
ld: 0711-780 SEVERE ERROR: Symbol .sched_analyze_2 (entry 1392) in object ../haifa-sched.o:
        Relocation overflow in reference to: rtx_format (entry 4264)
        Address: 0x00005176;    RLD type: R_TOC;   RLD length: 16
ld: 0711-780 SEVERE ERROR: Symbol .attach_deaths (entry 1862) in object ../haifa-sched.o:
        Relocation overflow in reference to: rtx_format (entry 4264)
        Address: 0x00007de2;    RLD type: R_TOC;   RLD length: 16
ld: 0711-780 SEVERE ERROR: Symbol .regno_use_in (entry 3251) in object ../haifa-sched.o:
        Relocation overflow in reference to: rtx_format (entry 4264)
        Address: 0x0000f472;    RLD type: R_TOC;   RLD length: 16
collect2: ld returned 12 exit status

Makes me wonder if we should be building with -mminimal-toc during stage2 and
stage3.  I'm not all that familiar with the PPC, so I'm not sure.

On ppc-linux it appears that the stage1 compiler has mis-compiled stage2 cpp
which causes stage2 cpp to croak.

Target				BOOT_CFLAGS
				std	-O0	-O1	-O9
alpha-dec-osf4.0a		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu	 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6	 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
i586-pc-linux-gnu		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
i686-pc-linux-gnu		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
m68k-hp-bsd4.4			 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
mips-sgi-irix6.3		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.3.0		 N
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1	 N
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1		 Y	 Y	 Y	 Y
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1		 Y	 Y	 Y

Both alpha targets, the m68k & sparc targets all failed at some point due
to codegen issues.

Next I'm going to look at -fomit-frame-pointer and -funroll-loops issues.

I'm also going to take a stab at finding the ppc-linux codegen issue, but we'd
be better off if someone else could analyze it instead.

Let's keep things semi-frozen for another week.  I'm inclined to let some of
the less risky patches though now.  But let's try and keep the volume of
non-bugfix changes reasonably low.

jeff

* Re:  Stabilization Status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, law

 >  From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 >  I'm running a series of -funroll-loops tests now.  I'm currently trying
 >  to debug a mis-compilation of stage2 genattrtab.c on the mips targets.
 >  More details as they're available.
 >  Fun fun fun.
 >  jeff

	I think it might be a more thorough stress on the unrolling code
if you used -funroll-all-loops instead of -funroll-loops in your matrix.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Icon CMT Corp.

* Stabilization status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

				    -O1		    -O2		    -O9
			       -funroll-loops  -funroll-loops  -funroll-loops

alpha-dec-osf4.0a		     Y		     Y		     Y
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu	     Y		     Y		     Y
hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20		     Y		     Y		     Y
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6	     Y		     Y		     Y
i586-pc-linux-gnu		     Y		     Y		     Y
i686-pc-linux-gnu		     Y		     Y		     Y
m68k-hp-bsd4.4			    FAIL -->
mips-sgi-irix6.3		    FAIL -->
powerpc-ibm-aix4.2.0.0		     Y		    FAIL -->
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1	    FAIL -->
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1		     Y		     Y		     Y
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1		     Y		     Y		     Y

I think this shows pretty clearly that there's still at least one major
problem still in the unroller.

* Re: Stabilization Status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 >   In message < 199901060452.XAA17297@caip.rutgers.edu >you write:
 >   >  >  From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >   >  >
 >   >  >  I'm running a series of -funroll-loops tests now.  I'm currently trying
 >   >  >  to debug a mis-compilation of stage2 genattrtab.c on the mips targets.
 >   >  >  More details as they're available.
 >   >  >  Fun fun fun.
 >   >  >  jeff
 >   >
 >   >     I think it might be a more thorough stress on the unrolling code
 >   > if you used -funroll-all-loops instead of -funroll-loops in your matrix.
 >
 > -funroll-loops is turning of plenty of problems on its own right now.  :(
 > jeff

	Okay.

PS: thanks for all the work stabilizing the tree.  Its much improved
from your recent efforts.

From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: dje, egcs

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 >   In message < 9901131953.AA100818@marc.watson.ibm.com >you write:
 >   >     Some AIX "lslpp" command can obtain the level of the linker
 >   > fileset installed on the system.
 >
 > This would be the best approach for detecting the older braindamaged linkers.
 > jeff

	Okay.  I'm not an AIX guru so I don't know much about lslpp.  I
read the man page, poked at it a bit and guessed that bos.rte.bind_cmds
is the correct Fileset name.

The response from "lslpp -Lc bos.rte.bind_cmds" on AIX4.1.4.0 is:

 > #Package Name:Fileset:Level:State:PTF Id:Fix State:Type:Description:
 > bos:bos.rte.bind_cmds:4.1.4.0: : :C: :Binder and Loader Commands

	I'm guessing that if we did "| awk -F: '{printf$3}'" it would get
us the "Level" which should be the right number to check.

David, would you verify/answer:

1.  Is bos.rte.bind_cmds the right fileset?
2.  Is field #3 the right field to check?
3.  What does the output look like when the patch is installed?
	I don't know if the bos.rte.bind_cmds is replaced with a new
	version row or a second row appears after the first.
	Should I just pipe it thought tail -1 to get the right row?
4.  Assuming we are looking at the correct data, what values signify
	we have the patch and which ones signify we don't have it?

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 >   > If we can run an autoconf test and it fails, then and only then would we
 >   > need to compile with -mminimal-toc.
 >
 > Agreed.  It's cleaner too.  I've got a dusty 3.2.5 and 4.1.3 box I can test
 > and iterate on if you've got something rough.
 > jeff

	Once David answers the above questions, I can hack something up.
What's your feeling on the best way to implement this and the place to
put it?

	I'm thinking we set X_CFLAGS in x-aix41 to something like this:

X_CFLAGS=`if [ x@minimal_toc@ != x -a x$(BOOT_CFLAGS) != x ] ; echo '-mminimal-toc' ; fi`

where @minimal_toc@ is replaced by an autoconf test using lslpp.  (The
check on BOOT_CFLAGS makes sure we are in stage2 or later.)

	In the x-aix31 case we don't need to check lslpp according to
David, so we'd just make sure we are in stage2 or later.

		--Kaveh

From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje, law; +Cc: egcs

 > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
 >
 > I can understand the desire to not spend a lot of time on old systems
 > like this because I feel the same way about hpux9 and earlier systems.
 > However, fixing things so that the compiler "just works" on these older
 > versions of aix4.1 should be trivial and not take a lot of time.
 >
 > We just recognize the old versions and use a different x-blah file for
 > them.  Right?
 >
 > Given the potential number of these boxes that are out there and the
 > ease of detecting them and handling them cleanly, I think we should bite
 > the bullet and handle them.

	By handling them I take it you mean we add -mminimal-toc to the
bootstrap.  However I think David said this makes cc1 slower.

Thus detecting the version number of AIX might not be enough.  I think
we want to only add -mminimal-toc if their AIX version needs it _and_
they haven't installed the magic patch which fixes this.

David, is it possible to generate a C test case?  Or run some shell magic
to detect if the patch is installed and -bbigtoc works?

From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

                                    -O1             -O2             -O9
                               -funroll-loops  -funroll-loops  -funroll-loops
                                  -fo-f-p         -fo-f-p         -fo-f-p

i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6            Y               Y               Y
i586-pc-linux-gnu                    Y               Y               Y
i686-pc-linux-gnu                    Y               Y               Y
m68k-hp-bsd4.4                      FAIL -->

Well, these are the same results  I got a week ago with this test.  I was
hoping that the fixes Michael & I made to the unroller would fix the m68k
problems.  But that's not the case.

I guess I'll have to try again when we fix the unroller bug exposed by the
mips port.

jeff

* Re: Stabilization status
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje, law; +Cc: egcs

 > From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>

 > Jeff> Makes me wonder if we should be building with -mminimal-toc
 > Jeff> during stage2 and stage3.  I'm not all that familiar with the
 > Jeff> PPC, so I'm not sure.
 >
 > 	We definitely should not be using -mminimal-toc.
 > David

David,

	I agree we should not have -mminimal-toc inserted
automatically during a bootstrap.  However sometimes we do not have
the luxury of upgrading the OS or even installing a patch.  In my case
its a guest account and the sysadmin can't be bothered. :-(

	In these situations, adding -mminimal-toc by hand to
BOOT_CFLAGS has been a useful (and the only) course of action for me
ir order to be able to test egcs at all on AIX.

Jeff, if you find yourself in similar straights, -mminimal-toc should
allow testing bootstraps at various opt levels until you can arrange
for the patch to be installed or the OS to be upgraded.

		--Kaveh