From: Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com>
To: sean darcy <seandarcy@hotmail.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Is it time to start using 4.0?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:31:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Saturday, November 20, 2004, at 11:06  AM, sean darcy wrote:
> I'm using 3.4.3.  I realize 4.0 isn't released and isn't suitable fro
> production work, whatever that means.

Depends on how close to the edge you like to live.  If you just want it
to work, without any hassles, wait until the release.  If you like to
test pre-production software, and like filing bug reports, or want to
verify that the release of gcc 4.0.0 will work well with your software,
before the 4.0.0 release, then now is a good time to test it out.  If
you want us to tell you the benefits for your software, wait until the
release; if you want to tell us what the benefits to your software is,
then test it now, and let us know.

If you do decide to test it out, things to watch for would be
compilation speed and generated code quality.

This is why, we cannot answer your question, as the question has more
to do with you, than with us.  We expect that the quality of the
compiler is close to release quality, generally, I'd say that we like
to keep it near release quality, though, bear in mind, if you get
unlucky, you may find some temporal instabilities.