* egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-11-28 17:15 Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-11-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs-announce; +Cc: egcs

The egcs-announce list now lives on the egcs machine
(egcs-announce@egcs.cygnus.com).

Since nobody should be posting to this address it should not have any noticable
effect on anyone's day to day work.

The only effects you should see are:

  1. You'll get announcement messages much faster.

  2. If you need to unsubscribe you have to use a different procedure than
     you originally used for subscribing to egcs-announce.

Subscribe/unsubscribe instructions for egcs-announce are on the egcs web page.
http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/lists.html

jeff

* Re: egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-11-29  8:45 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-11-29  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: egcs

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> The egcs-announce list now lives on the egcs machine
> (egcs-announce@egcs.cygnus.com).

I noticed the following headers, for I had to update my procmail recipes
due to this change:

Why the X-No-Archive: yes?

Is there any specific reason to abandon the Sender: header in favor of
the the Mailing-List: and Delivered-To: headers? (Actually I believe that
these are not RFC compliant, though I haven't check this yet.)

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

@ 1998-11-30  2:27   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-11-30  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

  In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.9811291628260.16972-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.a
t>you write:
  > On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > > The egcs-announce list now lives on the egcs machine
  > > (egcs-announce@egcs.cygnus.com).
  >
  > I noticed the following headers, for I had to update my procmail recipes
  > due to this change:

  > Why the X-No-Archive: yes?
  >
  > Is there any specific reason to abandon the Sender: header in favor of
  > the the Mailing-List: and Delivered-To: headers? (Actually I believe that
  > these are not RFC compliant, though I haven't check this yet.)
Because that's what qmail+ezmlm does by default.  We've changed both the
MTA and the list server.

@ 1998-11-30 12:40     ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1998-11-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, egcs

At 09:29 30.11.98 , Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message
<Pine.GSO.4.05.9811291628260.16972-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.a
>t>you write:
>  > On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>  > > The egcs-announce list now lives on the egcs machine
>  > > (egcs-announce@egcs.cygnus.com).
>  >
>  > I noticed the following headers, for I had to update my procmail recipes
>  > due to this change:
>  >
>  >   Mailing-List: contact egcs-announce-help@egcs.cygnus.com; run by ezmlm
>  >
>  > Why the X-No-Archive: yes?
>  >
>  > Is there any specific reason to abandon the Sender: header in favor of
>  > the the Mailing-List: and Delivered-To: headers? (Actually I believe that
>  > these are not RFC compliant, though I haven't check this yet.)
>Because that's what qmail+ezmlm does by default.  We've changed both the
>MTA and the list server.

There's absolutely no problem with these headers, they are under full
application control and I don't think they have to conform to any RFC
(except the "headername: headertext" convention) and they are used by qmail
and ezmlm to prevent mail loops.
In fact, if you ever peek into the qmail mailing list and read the postings
from the qmail+ezmlm author D.J.Bernstein, you'll know that this guy is the
last one to violate standards :-).

On the filtering issue it might be a good idea to add "Sender:
owner-egcs-cvs" (or whatever was written there before, that is what I was
filtering on and I think thats enough) to the file headeradd in the ezemlm
mailing list config dir. This will help backwards compatibility and that's
probably exactly one of the things Jeff wanted to shake out before the big
lists are converted.

I'm already amazed by the new speed of egcs-cvs, typical delivery time is
down to seconds from ~30-50min, and that was one of the fastest lists at
cygnus.

Congratulations!

Franz.

* Re: egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-12-01 10:24       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-01 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, egcs

  In message <4.1.19981130164609.03f2be50@mail.lauterbach.com>you write:
  > On the filtering issue it might be a good idea to add "Sender:
  > owner-egcs-cvs" (or whatever was written there before, that is what I was
  > filtering on and I think thats enough) to the file headeradd in the ezemlm
  > mailing list config dir. This will help backwards compatibility and that's
  > probably exactly one of the things Jeff wanted to shake out before the big
  > lists are converted.
OK.  There should be a Sender line now.  Hopefully people were keying on just
the owner-egcs-whatever, and not the @cygnus.com part that was appended to the
list name.

Thanks,

@ 1998-12-01 17:59   ` Marc Lehmann
From: Marc Lehmann @ 1998-12-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 04:31:41PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> > The egcs-announce list now lives on the egcs machine
> > (egcs-announce@egcs.cygnus.com).

> Is there any specific reason to abandon the Sender: header in favor of
> the the Mailing-List: and Delivered-To: headers? (Actually I believe that

The Delivered-To header serves a different purpose, and only has local
significance (and should not really go over the network, btw, as it may
confuse people's mail filters!)

I, too, think the Sender: header should be usable for mail filtering.

> these are not RFC compliant, though I haven't check this yet.)

They are "hardly" compliant, i.e. these headers "should not" be added,
instead they should be prefixed with "X-", but both headers are
quasi-standard, and are not strictly forbidden.

In case anybody wants to know: the Delivered-To: header is a very useful
thing (think multidrop mailboxes!) for people reading their mail through
pop3 or other protocols without envelope information like pop3 or unix mail
folders. Sendmail is incapable of adding this header without hacking, btw...

      -----==-                                              |
      ----==-- _                                            |
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       Marc Lehmann       +--
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@goof.com       |e|
      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\                          --+
    The choice of a GNU generation                        |

* Re: egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-12-02  2:52           ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1998-12-02  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard.earnshaw; +Cc: law, Gerald Pfeifer, egcs

At 11:37 02.12.98 , Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> OK.  There should be a Sender line now.  Hopefully people were keying on
just
>> the owner-egcs-whatever, and not the @cygnus.com part that was appended to
>the
>> list name.
>
>Excellent, but it seems to be setting the sender entry to owner-<listname>
>@<recipient-address>.
>
>I'm getting the following:
>
>Sender: owner-egcs-cvs@arm.com
>
>Was this deliberate, or an oversight?

This is added by your mailserver, same happens here with our address, but I
think this is harmless.

Franz.

* Re: egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-12-02  2:52         ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 1998-12-02  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: richard.earnshaw

Sender: owner-egcs-cvs@arm.com

Was this deliberate, or an oversight?

Richard.

* Re: egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-12-02 14:54             ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: richard.earnshaw, law, egcs

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Franz Sirl wrote:
>> I'm getting the following:
>> Sender: owner-egcs-cvs@arm.com
> This is added by your mailserver, same happens here with our address,
> but I think this is harmless.

This one definitely is a clear violation of the relevant standards (RFCs).
For the Sender: address is supposed to be a valid e-mail address.

Specifically, it is the address of the one who actually sent out the
message on behalf of the one denoted in the From: header.

Gerald
--

@ 1998-12-02 14:54               ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-02 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Franz Sirl, richard.earnshaw, egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.4.05.9812021735510.5135-100000@markab.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
you write:
  > On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Franz Sirl wrote:
  > >> I'm getting the following:
  > >> Sender: owner-egcs-cvs@arm.com
  > > This is added by your mailserver, same happens here with our address,
  > > but I think this is harmless.
  >
  > This one definitely is a clear violation of the relevant standards (RFCs).
  > For the Sender: address is supposed to be a valid e-mail address.
  >
  > Specifically, it is the address of the one who actually sent out the
  > message on behalf of the one denoted in the From: header.
Should be fixed now.

jeff

* egcs-announce mailing list
@ 1998-11-28 17:15 Jeffrey A Law