* no patch to .brik in latest snapshot diff!
@ 1998-01-16 20:09 Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-01-16 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs team

egcs-971225-980115.diff.gz does not contain a patch to the .brik file.

Please, let's try to do a better job of having good diffs; not everyone
has a high-bandwidth connection and it is important that people can
reliably use and verify diffs to get the latest snapshot.

We've persistently had problems with diffs.  It seems that there should
be a better way to safely automate the process, e.g. a script that takes
two xxx.tar.gz files and produces a diff that is guaranteed to turn the
first one into the second one.  If this were done once it would never
go wrong again.

* Re: no patch to .brik in latest snapshot diff!
@ 1998-01-17 22:09 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-01-17 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: egcs team

  In message < 199801170229.SAA19220@atrus.synopsys.com >you write:
  > egcs-971225-980115.diff.gz does not contain a patch to the .brik file.
Yes, there's multiple problems with brik caused by moving the repository
and snapshot process from one machine to another (running different OSs).

jeff

* Re: no patch to .brik in latest snapshot diff!
@ 1998-01-20  4:46   ` Mark Phillips
From: Mark Phillips @ 1998-01-20  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph H. Buehler; +Cc: egcs

If you upgrade to GNU patch 2.5, it supports doing this for you (see -Z
and -T options). You do need to be careful when creating the patches
though (see the man page).

The later version of patch also deals better with creating files from
scratch and removing files.

Have fun
Mark

PS. Note the default behaviour of patch has changed - you may want -bv

Mark S. Phillips        ESN 742 2461
msp@nortel.co.uk        Tel. +44 1279 402461

       [not found] <January_18_1998_at_05_18_16_7755_Joseph_H._Buehler@altera>
@ 1998-01-19  2:30 ` Joseph H. Buehler