* gcc front end
@ 2005-07-19 13:35 Sean PH
From: Sean PH @ 2005-07-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

 Hello,

 I'm currently working on implementing a tool chain for a 'pet
language' of mine called O (for Obscure, since my preferred name was
taken). You can see the [unfinished] language specification here:

 http://sean.heybryan.org/spec0_unfinished.pdf

 Note that the implementation notes chapter isn't filled in since I
havn't gotten around to finding a back-end for the compiler yet. gcc
looks like a very good option, however the documentation is quite
'preliminary' and I am having trouble understanding some things. Would
anyone there be willing to help me on this, even just to talk about
gcc's features and how I would apply my language constructs to them at
first? I am approaching a point at which I have a full parse tree of
the language available and will be ready to dive into connecting it to
a back end, so this would be much appreciated.

 Sorry for any grammar errors, they're unintentional as I just pulled
an all-nighter :).

 Thanks, Sean Purser-Haskell

* Re: gcc front end
@ 2005-07-25 21:41 ` Rafael Ávila de Espíndola
From: Rafael Ávila de Espíndola @ 2005-07-25 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Sean PH

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 10:34, Sean PH wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  I'm currently working on implementing a tool chain for a 'pet
> language' of mine called O (for Obscure, since my preferred name was
> taken). You can see the [unfinished] language specification here:
>
>  http://sean.heybryan.org/spec0_unfinished.pdf
>
>  Note that the implementation notes chapter isn't filled in since I
> havn't gotten around to finding a back-end for the compiler yet. gcc
> looks like a very good option, however the documentation is quite
> 'preliminary' and I am having trouble understanding some things. Would
> anyone there be willing to help me on this, even just to talk about
> gcc's features and how I would apply my language constructs to them at
> first? I am approaching a point at which I have a full parse tree of
> the language available and will be ready to dive into connecting it to
> a back end, so this would be much appreciated.
I think that you should take a look at the GCC front end HOWTO. Some parts of
it are out of date but most of it is quite useful. Studing other front ends
is also helpfull. I have made a very small Hello World front end to show what
is the smallest program that can link with the gcc middle end. I is not
completely documented, but I think that it can be usefull. It is at
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gsc/branches/hello-world/

A much more mature example is the treelang front end that comes with gcc. I
also think that the fortran front end is a very good reference.

>  Sorry for any grammar errors, they're unintentional as I just pulled
> an all-nighter :).
>
>  Thanks, Sean Purser-Haskell

Wen you have more specific question feel free to ask. :)

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

* Re: gcc front end
@ 2002-05-13  8:36 ` Philipp Thomas
From: Philipp Thomas @ 2002-05-13  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: praveenp; +Cc: gcc

* praveenp (p.sarathy@usa-tcs.com) [20020510 00:09]:

> I am searching for a library version of GNU's C++ front end , and
> documentation on its interface (through which I can query its internal
> data str.)

AFAIK there is no library version of g++.

Philipp

* gcc front end
@ 2002-05-09 15:33 ` praveenp
From: praveenp @ 2002-05-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc

Hi ,
I'm currently trying to make a tool that'll generate
UML specs from c++ code.

I am searching for a library version of GNU's C++
front end , and documentation on its interface
(through which I can query its internal data str.)

I'm using g++ 2.96 on linux 7.2.

Could you please guide me to the correct library and
where I could download it ?
I explored the links on the gcc pages but could not
locate these.

thanks & regards,
praveen.

* gcc front end