Good Day all! I recently downloaded egcs-19980425 since I would like an ISO C++ compiler. To get the right file errors, I patched streambuf.h and streambuf.cc so that it would throw an ios::failure exception (that class being a child of exception per the ISO draft.) When I attempt to use this I get a segmentation fault. I thought you might like to see this. I have attached a file "test.tar" that contains the difference between the original and patched h file (hdiff.txt) and the difference between the original and patched cc file (ccdiff.txt) and fexcptst.cpp, a simple program that tests / causes the segmentation fault. Lastly, please pardon me, but I noticed that the original threw an exception by pointer. In general isn't that a very bad idea? I was always taught to write a copy constructor for all exceptions and always throw by value, never by new. Doesn't a construct like : throw new failure ( this ) lead to a memory leak since it becomes the responsibility of the catch block to delete the pointer? Thanks Peter