* egcs-970828 install
@ 1997-08-30 22:12 Weiwen Liu
From: Weiwen Liu @ 1997-08-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi,

The program "c++filt" is not installed by "make install" of egcs-970828.

* Re: libg++?
@ 1997-08-30 22:12 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-08-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> The libg++ directory hasn't been modified because it doesn't relate to the
> standard, and we're not interested in maintaining it anymore (I think;
> right, Ulrich?).  Someone else is welcome to take it over.

The only parts of old libg++ that I think are that interesting anymore are
the random number classes: there's a nice scheme to generate a variety of
types of random numbers with different distributions.  I think these
originally came from Dirk Grunwald's Awesime project, not from Doug Lea.
Ptolemy used them.

Much of the rest of libg++ I would consider obsolete: String, Complex,
the containers, especially now that we have the SGI hashing classes and
singly linked list.  Just the same, some people still use it, so we can
put it out and call it deprecated.

* Re: egcs-970828 install
@ 1997-09-02  3:33 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1997-09-02  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilson; +Cc: liu, egcs

   Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:09:56 -0700
   From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>

   c++filt is in both binutils and gcc2/egcs.  It would be wrong to try to
   install both of them, as this would lead to conflicts.  Currently, the one
   in binutils gets installed, and the one in gcc2/egcs does not.  Eventually,
   one of the duplicate copies of this program will disppear.

I'm the current binutils maintainer, and I can't really think of a
reason to keep it in binutils rather than gcc.

I will note that it is not entirely gcc specific.  It is able to
demangle schemes other than the one that gcc uses: specifically, lucid
and arm (whatever they are).  I don't think this is a strong enough
reason to keep it in the binutils.

I'll mention this over on the BFD list. to see if there are any other
opinions.

Ian

* Re: egcs-970828 install
@ 1997-08-31 18:57 Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-08-31 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> c++filt is in both binutils and gcc2/egcs.  It would be wrong to try to
> install both of them, as this would lead to conflicts.  Currently, the one
> in binutils gets installed, and the one in gcc2/egcs does not.  Eventually,
> one of the duplicate copies of this program will disppear.

Since all GNU C++ users will have egcs or gcc2, and those using
vendor-supplied assemblers and linkers will not use binutils, it seems
it would be better for the binutils version to go away.  That way everyone
gets the programs installed.

* Re: egcs-970828 install
@ 1997-08-31  0:09 Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1997-08-31  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

	The program "c++filt" is not installed by "make install" of egcs-970828.

This is intentional for now.

c++filt is in both binutils and gcc2/egcs.  It would be wrong to try to
install both of them, as this would lead to conflicts.  Currently, the one
in binutils gets installed, and the one in gcc2/egcs does not.  Eventually,
one of the duplicate copies of this program will disppear.

Jim