* Re: Fortran: The Road Ahead II
       [not found] <9712101237.AA04814.cygnus.egcs@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>
@ 1997-12-11 20:29 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1997-12-11 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) writes:

> The document reference number is ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997.

Are you sure 1536 as the base number is correct?  If it is a newly
assigned number (and if I understand the ISO procedures this is
necessary) it must be a much higher number and 15xxx is much more
reasonable.

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany

* Re: Fortran: The Road Ahead II
@ 1997-12-12 10:18   ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 1997-12-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I wrote:

> > The document reference number is ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997.

And Ulrich replied:

>  Are you sure 1536 as the base number is correct?  If it
>  is a newly assigned number (and if I understand the ISO
>  procedures this is necessary) it must be a much higher
>  number and 15xxx is much more reasonable.

This is what I found using the search engine (string "fortran") on
their site ( http://www.iso.ch ):

ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
Information technology -- Programming languages -- Fortran - Part
1: Base language

Edition: 1 (monolingual)
Number of pages: 346
Price code: XH
Technical committee / subcommittee: JTC 1 / SC 22
ICS: 35.060
Descriptors: advanced language, artificial languages, computer
software, data processing, programming languages, FORTRAN
_

Last updated on 1997-12-06

Cheers,
Toon.

* Re: Fortran: The Road Ahead II
@ 1997-12-12 14:28   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-12-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 Ulrich> Are you sure 1536 as the base number is correct?  If it is a
 Ulrich> newly assigned number (and if I understand the ISO procedures
 Ulrich> this is necessary)

FWIW, it's a revision of 1539:1991 (`Fortran 90') and g77 does at
least include a couple of its intrinsics as a sop to progress :-).
Not that we're really so sanguine about the lack of g95...

* Fortran: The Road Ahead II
@ 1997-12-10  4:40 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 1997-12-10  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Quoting a comp.lang.fortran posting:

The Fortran 95 standard document is finally available from ISO (
http://www.iso.ch ), replacing Fortran 90.

The document reference number is ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997.

That means that g77 is now 2 standard versions (and 2 decades) behind ;-)

[ For those not familiar with the Fortran world:  This is not as
  problematic as it sounds, because of the enormous amount of
  legacy code (and legacy programmers :-) ]

Toon.