* Optimal compile flags for ultra2 & power2
@ 1998-09-21 20:09 Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth
From: Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth @ 1998-09-21 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I was wondering what flags people use for best FP performance on these -

a) Sun ultra2

b) IBM Power2.

There's an additional quirk - a lot of the data I have to work with is 32bit
FP, so avoiding costly conversions between double & single precision (which is
a characteristic of the Power2 chipset) is important.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California

* Re: Optimal compile flags for ultra2 & power2
@ 1998-09-21 22:52 ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 1998-09-21 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shocking; +Cc: egcs

   Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:09:03 +0800
   From: Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>

   I was wondering what flags people use for best FP performance on these -

   a) Sun ultra2

-O2 -mtune=ultrasparc -fcall-used-g4 -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

* Re: Optimal compile flags for ultra2 & power2
@ 1998-09-22  9:00 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1998-09-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth; +Cc: egcs

Stephen> I was wondering what flags people use for best FP performance on these -
Stephen> b) IBM Power2.

	-mcpu=rios2 -ffast-math -lrs2

Make sure that -ffast-math is safe for your application -- it is a general
GCC optimization.  /usr/lib/librs2.a is an additional math library
provided by IBM that substitutes the hardware fsqrt instruction for the
library sqrt call and all places that it is used.

David

* Re: Optimal compile flags for ultra2 & power2
@ 1998-09-22  9:51   ` John Carr
From: John Carr @ 1998-09-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: shocking, egcs

>    I was wondering what flags people use for best FP performance on these -
>
>    a) Sun ultra2
>
> -O2 -mtune=ultrasparc -fcall-used-g4 -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7

%g7 is used by the Solaris thread library, so don't use -fcall-used-g7
in multithreaded programs (which includes any program using XIL in
Solaris 2.6).

-mcpu=ultrasparc will enable the V9 floating point instructions and
should improve performance on an Ultra; code compiled with this switch
will not run on older SPARCs.

* Re: Optimal compile flags for ultra2 & power2
@ 1998-09-23  0:49     ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 1998-09-23  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfc; +Cc: shocking, egcs

   Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:50:57 EDT
   From: John Carr <jfc@MIT.EDU>

   >    I was wondering what flags people use for best FP performance on these -
   >
   >    a) Sun ultra2
   >
   > -O2 -mtune=ultrasparc -fcall-used-g4 -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7

   %g7 is used by the Solaris thread library, so don't use -fcall-used-g7
   in multithreaded programs (which includes any program using XIL in
   Solaris 2.6).

Right, and if it is non-threaded you can add -fcall-used-g6 as well.
Thanks for pointing this out.

   -mcpu=ultrasparc will enable the V9 floating point instructions and
   should improve performance on an Ultra; code compiled with this switch
   will not run on older SPARCs.

I get enough egcs-1.1 compiler crashes and bad code-gen reports about
-mcpu=ultrasparc that I fail to recommend it any more.  Hopefully I
can stabilize this in the main line soon...

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com