* egcs 1.1.1, AIX 4.1.5 and gdb...
@ 1998-12-14 12:26 Chris Fury
From: Chris Fury @ 1998-12-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I have succesfully compiled egcs 1.1.1 with the --with-stabs option, but when
I try to use gdb to debug my program, it can't find the filenames.  The
debugging
information seems to be using "short" filenames vs. long filenames with the
long paths.  I need this functionality because I have many directories with
several files named the same thing in those directories.

Anybody out there seen this problem and/or know how to deal with it?

--
Christopher Fury   "You go to your TV to turn your brain off. You go to
Aerosoft, Inc.      your computer to turn your brain on."  - Steve Jobs

* Re: egcs 1.1.1, AIX 4.1.5 and gdb...
@ 1998-12-14 12:43 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-14 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Fury; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 36757627.D0C86AF@bev.net >you write:
  > I have succesfully compiled egcs 1.1.1 with the --with-stabs option, but
  > when
I do not think you should be using --with-stabs for AIX.  In fact, it should
not be needed on most platforms.

jeff

* Re: egcs 1.1.1, AIX 4.1.5 and gdb...
@ 1998-12-14 13:46   ` Chris Fury
From: Chris Fury @ 1998-12-14 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, egcs

Hmm.  But using stabs should allow me to use the long filename support in the
debugging info, correct?

--

@ 1998-12-14 13:51     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Fury; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 367588C7.89D3BE7F@bev.net >you write:

  > Hmm.  But using stabs should allow me to use the long filename support in
  > the debugging info, correct?
Maybe, maybe not.  Debuggers may not be able to grok stabs embedded within
xcoff object files.

jeff

* Re: egcs 1.1.1, AIX 4.1.5 and gdb...
@ 1998-12-14 17:15 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1998-12-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Fury; +Cc: egcs

Chris> I have succesfully compiled egcs 1.1.1 with the --with-stabs option, but when
Chris> I try to use gdb to debug my program, it can't find the filenames.  The
Chris> debugging
Chris> information seems to be using "short" filenames vs. long filenames with the
Chris> long paths.  I need this functionality because I have many directories with
Chris> several files named the same thing in those directories.

Chris> Anybody out there seen this problem and/or know how to deal with it?

	EGCS probably will not work on AIX using --with-stabs.  There is
no special support in either the compiler or debugger to handle that.
Most of all, that configuration is not supported.

David