* EGCS or egcs?
@ 1998-12-30 17:27 Gerald Pfeifer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-30 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Clearly this is not the topmost priority issue, but I'd like to fix this
for the web pages.

Is our project called EGCS or egcs?

If the decision is to accept/use both variants, that's absolutely fine
with me, I just though I ought to ask, as this has been causing mild
confusion now and then.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: EGCS or egcs?
@ 1998-12-30 17:41 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 1998-12-30 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

> Clearly this is not the topmost priority issue, but I'd like to fix this
> for the web pages.

> Is our project called EGCS or egcs?

> If the decision is to accept/use both variants, that's absolutely fine
> with me, I just though I ought to ask, as this has been causing mild
> confusion now and then.

I think that the project started 16 months ago has matured in some
sense and should be spelled with capital letters ;-) so I vote for
EGCS (short for "Enhanced GNU Compiler System")

my 0.02 euros

-- Gaby

* Re: EGCS or egcs?
@ 1998-12-30 18:05   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-30 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis

On 31 Dec 1998, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>> Is our project called EGCS or egcs?
> I think that the project started 16 months ago has matured in some
> sense and should be spelled with capital letters ;-) so I vote for
> EGCS (short for "Enhanced GNU Compiler System")

FWIW, I checked the web pages:

  alphard[85]:/sw/swtest/egcs/wwwdocs/htdocs% grep egcs * | wc -l
     290
  alphard[86]:/sw/swtest/egcs/wwwdocs/htdocs% grep EGCS * | wc -l
      80

One advantage of the lower-case version is that it's more consistent when
deadling with the names of mailing-lists, domains and URLs (unless we
write these in upper-case as well, as in EGCS.cygnus.com and EGCS-patches).

Gerald
--

@ 1998-12-30 19:40 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-30 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.4.05.9812310220560.3146-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at
>you write:
  > Is our project called EGCS or egcs?
I use both preferring the lower case variant most of the time I suspect.

I've got no strong opinion on this.

jeff

* Re: EGCS or egcs?
@ 1998-12-30 19:55 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1998-12-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

	Both GCC and gcc are used, so why do we need to choose for EGCS?
I tend to use EGCS when describing the project and egcs when referencing
releases, mailinglists, hostnames, URLs, etc.  Personally, I find Egcs (as
would be required by capitalization rules) quite ugly, so I use EGCS in
those instances.  It's an acronym.

David