* egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
@ 1999-02-24 20:49 Jeffrey A Law
       [not found] ` < 18344.919918142@hurl.cygnus.com >
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I've put another pre-release on the ftp server in the
snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease directory.

Changes since the last prerelease:

	* Avoid setting bogus RPATH_ENVAR.

	* Fix sh code gen bug.  Fix va-sh.h bug with -ansi.

	* Fix minor ISO namespace violation in va-alpha.h

	* Fixed the duplicate file initializer symbols.

	* Fix bug in rs6000/ppc long call support.

	* Fix GNU make dependencies in texinfo.

There will be at least one more prerelease to deal with some stuff
that we haven't resolved yet.  Sigh.

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found] ` < 18344.919918142@hurl.cygnus.com >
@ 1999-02-24 21:08   ` Shawn Leas
       [not found]     ` < 19990224230733.A7961@ixion.honeywell.com >
From: Shawn Leas @ 1999-02-24 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> I've put another pre-release on the ftp server in the
> snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease directory.

I just checked ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease

And it aint there.

-- Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
   Day 2226 for the poor and the middle class.
   Day 2245 for the rich and the dead.
   696 days remaining in the Raw Deal.
<============================================>

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]     ` < 19990224230733.A7961@ixion.honeywell.com >
@ 1999-02-25  1:06       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-25  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Leas; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 19990224230733.A7961@ixion.honeywell.com >you write:
  > On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > >
  > > I've put another pre-release on the ftp server in the
  > > snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease directory.
  >
  > I just checked ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelea  > se
  >
  > And it aint there.
It is now :-)

Sorry for the confusion

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found] ` < 18344.919918142@hurl.cygnus.com >
@ 1999-02-26 16:56   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-02-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> I've put another pre-release on the ftp server in the
> snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease directory.

I had a look at the stuff impored from wwwdocs and I'd like to suggest
that we move FAQ and faq.html directly into the top directory instead
of putting it into INSTALL.

There we'll have a much better chance of people to notice and actually
read the FAQ before sending to the lists.

Plus it will also make it easier to maintain correct links from faq.html
into INSTALL, as we'll have to do is

 s#/install#/INSTALL#g

(Note that currently these links are broken in the prerelease!)

Gerald

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]     ` < 19990224230733.A7961@ixion.honeywell.com >
@ 1999-02-28 22:53     ` Shawn Leas
From: Shawn Leas @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-02-28 22:53 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-02-28 22:53     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-02-28 22:53         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Leas; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 19990224230733.A7961@ixion.honeywell.com >you write:
  > On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > >
  > > I've put another pre-release on the ftp server in the
  > > snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelease directory.
  >
  > I just checked ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/snapshots/egcs-1.1.2-prerelea  > se
  >
  > And it aint there.
It is now :-)

Sorry for the confusion

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
@ 1999-03-10 16:14     ` Gerald Pfeifer
       [not found]       ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903110111410.22761-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-03-10 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> I had a look at the stuff impored from wwwdocs and I'd like to suggest
> that we move FAQ and faq.html directly into the top directory instead
> of putting it into INSTALL.

I noticed that you made that move as per prerelease #3. Thanks!

> Plus it will also make it easier to maintain correct links from faq.html
> into INSTALL, as we'll have to do is
>
>  s#/install#/INSTALL#g
>
> (Note that currently these links are broken in the prerelease!)

Unfortunately, this issue is still present, though actually the expression
should be s#install/#INSTALL/#g . Can you have a look, please?

Thanks,
Gerald

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]       ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903110111410.22761-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
@ 1999-03-14  2:33         ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found]           ` < 9981.921406931@upchuck >
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-03-14  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

  In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.9903110111410.22761-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.a
t>you write:

  > > Plus it will also make it easier to maintain correct links from faq.html
  > > into INSTALL, as we'll have to do is
  > >
  > >  s#/install#/INSTALL#g
  > >
  > > (Note that currently these links are broken in the prerelease!)
  >
  > Unfortunately, this issue is still present, though actually the expression
  > should be s#install/#INSTALL/#g . Can you have a look, please?
What precisely is wrong?

When you want to report a link that doesn't work in the distribution, you
need to refer to specific files & links.  Otherwise I have to guess what
file and link you're referring to.

The only reference to the install directory is for specific.html in the
FAQ.

In faq.html the reference looks like "install/specific.html" which seems
correct to me.

In FAQ, there are also two references to the install directory in the
References section.  Both point to the does on the web rather than to the
copy internally in the release.  Which seems reasoanble until we have a
better idea how to organize all this stuff.

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]           ` < 9981.921406931@upchuck >
@ 1999-03-15 14:47             ` Gerald Pfeifer
       [not found]               ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903152337480.9819-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-03-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>> Unfortunately, this issue is still present, though actually the expression
>> should be s#install/#INSTALL/#g . Can you have a look, please?
> What precisely is wrong?

In our wwwdocs repository and on the web the directory is called
"install", while when shipped with releases we call it "INSTALL".

URLs are case-sensitive. Thus those links in faq.html (shipped as part
of a release) that point into the "install" directory are broken in the
release due to this renaming.

My suggested fix is to s#install/#INSTALL/#g on faq.html as shipped with
releases to account for the "install" to "INSTALL" renaming.

> When you want to report a link that doesn't work in the distribution, you
> need to refer to specific files & links.  Otherwise I have to guess what
> file and link you're referring to.

Sorry for not being clear enough in my first report; I hope this time I
did a better job outlining this issue...

If you make the release script CVS controlled, I will try to give this a
stab.

Gerald

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]               ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903152337480.9819-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
@ 1999-03-15 21:57                 ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found]                   ` < 9400.921563855@hurl.cygnus.com >
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-03-15 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903152337480.9819-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at
>you write:
  > In our wwwdocs repository and on the web the directory is called
  > "install", while when shipped with releases we call it "INSTALL".
Ah.  I get it.

  > URLs are case-sensitive. Thus those links in faq.html (shipped as part
  > of a release) that point into the "install" directory are broken in the
  > release due to this renaming.
Maybe the better thing to do is rework the web pages so that they use
"INSTALL" isntead of "install" -- I'd prefer to avoid unnecessary sed-ing
for releases.  The more closely those bits in the cvs tree match what we
want to ship with releases, the better.

Objections?

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]                   ` < 9400.921563855@hurl.cygnus.com >
@ 1999-03-18 15:43                     ` Gerald Pfeifer
       [not found]                       ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903190031590.9596-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-03-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>> In our wwwdocs repository and on the web the directory is called
>> "install", while when shipped with releases we call it "INSTALL".
> Maybe the better thing to do is rework the web pages so that they use
> "INSTALL" isntead of "install" -- I'd prefer to avoid unnecessary sed-ing
> for releases.  The more closely those bits in the cvs tree match what we
> want to ship with releases, the better.

I agree that sed-ing should be avoided where possible.

> Objections?

Hmm, in general we don't use all-uppercase strings as part of URLs and
personally I prefer the lower-case versions as well, but neither is a real
reason not to go with "INSTALL".

However, note that we just have shipped egcs 1.1.2 with the following in
INSTALL/index.html:

  http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/ "> http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/ </a>.

So what do you think about the following?

We include the installation notes for the release as "install" and add a
short text file "INSTALL" explaining where to look for these installation
notes.

No sed-ing nor changes to wwwdocs will be needed and it will even be an
improvement, in that currently we do not provide any information about
_which_ of those files in "INSTALL" one should start with!

Gerald

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
       [not found]                       ` < Pine.GSO.4.10.9903190031590.9596-100000@alphard.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
@ 1999-03-18 16:00                         ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-03-18 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: law, egcs

	I agree with Geralds recommendation.  In general we should not
have an all uppercase directory in a URL.

David

* Re: egcs-1.1.2 prerelease #2
@ 1999-03-31 23:46                           ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)