* Re: gcc-2.95 on AIX
@ 1999-08-11 11:43 Tom Williams
From: Tom Williams @ 1999-08-11 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: egcs

Well, I got one of my problems solved.  It turns out that gcc did not like
the way that certain #define macros were defined in /usr/include/pthread.h
on AIX.

Example:

Works:
#define PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT               {0,0,0,0}

Fails:
/*
#define   PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT     {0,\
                        0,\
                        0,\
                       0}
*/

Once I touched up the macros with the slashes for line continutation, my
program compiled.  I was building glib-1.2.3 using gcc-2.95 on AIX 4.3.1.
I configured glib like this:

configure --prefix/usr/local/glib --with-threads=posix

I put the modified pthread.h in the gthread directory in the glib source
tree and changed gthread-posix.c to use my touched up pthread.h and
everybody was happy again.

Does this sound like a gcc bug?  I'm going to try to build glib again with
the "-traditional" switch to see if that changes anything.

If this sounds like a bug, I'll gather more data to submit a formal bug
report.  I've never done that before so please bear with me.

Peace.....

Tom

David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> on 08/10/99 07:11:15 PM

To:   Tom Williams/HQ/dssi
cc:   egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Subject:  Re: gcc-2.95 on AIX

     GCC-2.95 should be completely useable on AIX.  Using it as a
"primary" compiler is a different question.
     libgcc.a not found is an installation error or the tcl Makefile
using some incorrect options that confict with GCC (e.g., -b).
|> ... gcc can't compiler some of the AIX headers and stuff properly...
     Unless you are using non "fixed" headers or something is broken
with an AIX header, GCC should work with AIX headers.  I don't know what
"stuff" is.
     If you have a bug, it would be much more helpful for you to submit
a bug report following the guidelines for how to submit a useful, complete
bug report than sending this very vague message.
David

* Re: gcc-2.95 on AIX
@ 1999-08-11 12:16 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-08-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Williams; +Cc: egcs

	I naively tried including the unmodified pthread.h in AIX 4.3.2
/usr/include into a toy program and did not receive any errors.  Would you
please send a SMALL test program which fails and describe exactly what
error you are experiencing.

	As an aside, to compile a pthreads program on AIX using GCC you
need to compile each object file and link with -mthreads option.

David

* Re: gcc-2.95 on AIX
@ 1999-08-31 23:20   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Williams; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-08-31 23:20 ` Tom Williams
From: Tom Williams @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: egcs

To:   Tom Williams/HQ/dssi
cc:   egcs@egcs.cygnus.com

     GCC-2.95 should be completely useable on AIX.  Using it as a
"primary" compiler is a different question.
     libgcc.a not found is an installation error or the tcl Makefile
using some incorrect options that confict with GCC (e.g., -b).
|> ... gcc can't compiler some of the AIX headers and stuff properly...
     Unless you are using non "fixed" headers or something is broken
with an AIX header, GCC should work with AIX headers.  I don't know what
"stuff" is.
     If you have a bug, it would be much more helpful for you to submit
a bug report following the guidelines for how to submit a useful, complete
bug report than sending this very vague message.
David

* gcc-2.95 on AIX
@ 1999-08-31 23:20 ` Tom Williams
From: Tom Williams @ 1999-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi!  I was wondering if any of you out there in egcs land use gcc as your
primary compiler on AIX?  I've been able to build the gcc-2.95 release just
fine and it runs great, but I find that I have to still use IBM's C/C++
compiler because gcc can't compile some of the AIX headers and stuff
properly.  In one case, I got an error about libgcc.a not being found while
trying to build tcl8.1.1.  I installed egcs/gcc because I had problems
getting Apache 1.3.6 to run correctly when compiled with IBM's compiler.
Should I even try to use gcc on AIX or just try to live the IBM's compiler?
I've been to the www.bull.de site to get binaries for stuff, but some
things I need to configure differently and I have to recompile to get me
configuration.
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Peace......