* GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-25  8:59 realthing
From: realthing @ 1999-12-25  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi there!

I'm a GCC beginner and I have a few questions.

1)I want like to write programs for Win95/98/NT etc with GCC. There is
Mingw32 and Cygwin32 but they both link the programs with some DLLs no
matter if I want it. I'd like to have control over everything what is in
my EXE(i.e. start at the entry point and end with ExitProcess()). I wanted
to modify Mingw32 libraries but I didn't find the sources. Are that
sources available? Is there any other way to do what I need?
2)Is there any other GCC for Win32?
3)What is the latest version of GCC for Win32?
4)Does GCC produce better code than VC++ or Delphi?
5)Where can I find up-to-date information about GCC for Win32?
6)How can I create the .a archives?

Is there anyone who can give me a suggestion? I'd be happy if someone
could answer these questions. Thanks.
Ondrej

--- CREATED BY ATC O..R..G..A..N..I..Z..E..R
--- http://email.cz <--- Get Your Free Email

* GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54 ` realthing
From: realthing @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

[...]

* Re: GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54       ` Artem Hodyush
From: Artem Hodyush @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich.Lauther; +Cc: gcc

Ulrich Lauther <ulrich.lauther@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:

> so what is the difference between using -mno-cygwin and Mingw32?
> Just licensing issues?

This is discussed in great detail at
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt

From: Artem Hodyush @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: realthing, gcc

realthing@email.cz wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm a GCC beginner and I have a few questions.
>
> 1)I want like to write programs for Win95/98/NT etc with GCC. There is
> Mingw32 and Cygwin32 but they both link the programs with some DLLs no
> matter if I want it. I'd like to have control over everything what is in
> my EXE(i.e. start at the entry point and end with ExitProcess()).

This is not trivial. Gcc generates code that may or may not depend on
support routines in libgcc.a, which in turn depend on a number of routines
from C runtime library, contained in the "some DLLs" your program is
linked with. If you can live without C++ constructors, exceptions, new,
malloc and all C runtime library functions, you can probably do what
you want. You will need to modify what gets linked into libgcc.a, change
startup code and gcc specs file. Unless you have to produce something
very special using gcc, you probably don't want to go that way.

> I wanted  to modify Mingw32 libraries but I didn't find the sources. Are that
> sources available? Is there any other way to do what I need?

Mingw sources are available at
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime

> 2)Is there any other GCC for Win32?

Sorry, don't know.

> 3)What is the latest version of GCC for Win32?

2.95.2, available at
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2

> 4)Does GCC produce better code than VC++ or Delphi?

In my opinion, generally no, at least for 2.95, but it doesn't matter.

> 5)Where can I find up-to-date information about GCC for Win32?

The most up-to-date and most comprehensive site about GCC for win32 is
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
There is also mingw32 mailing list at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/mingw32/

* Re: GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54     ` Ulrich Lauther
From: Ulrich Lauther @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Belenov; +Cc: gcc

--
	-lauther

Ulrich Lauther          ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
Siemens ZT SE 4         Internet: Ulrich.Lauther@mchp.siemens.de

* Re: GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: artem, realthing, gcc

In a message dated 12/27/1999 8:31:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
artem@duma.gov.ru writes:

> > 3)What is the latest version of GCC for Win32?
>
>  2.95.2, available at
>  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2
The most recent versions of gcc-2.96 are building reliably, at least on W2K,
but no one is supporting a pre-compiled version.  Hints on building gcc under
cygwin are to be found both on Mumit Khan's site and at
http://members.aol.com/n8tm/cygwingccg77.htm

2.96 is definitely in the "experimental" category, but you said you wanted
the latest.

* Re: GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54   ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: realthing; +Cc: gcc

Hello realthing,

rec> Hi there!

rec> I'm a GCC beginner and I have a few questions.

rec> 1)I want like to write programs for Win95/98/NT etc with GCC. There is
rec> Mingw32 and Cygwin32 but they both link the programs with some DLLs no
rec> matter if I want it. I'd like to have control over everything what is in
rec> my EXE(i.e. start at the entry point and end with ExitProcess()). I wanted
rec> to modify Mingw32 libraries but I didn't find the sources. Are that
rec> sources available? Is there any other way to do what I need?
Cygwin32  can  produce  EXE  files  that  doesn't  use cygwin DLL (use
-mno-cygwin  switch).  It links crtdll.dll instead in this case (which
is  a  sort  of  system  dll,  at  least  it is included in Windows NT
distribution).  If  it  doesn't  suit,  Cygwin32 sources are available
(look at Cygwin site and it's mirrors).

rec> 2)Is there any other GCC for Win32?
There  is  a  modification  of EMX package called RSX that can produce
Win32 binaries.

rec> 3)What is the latest version of GCC for Win32?
2.95.2 (it is the latest version of gcc itself).

rec> 4)Does GCC produce better code than VC++ or Delphi?
It  depends,  I  had  different  results  in different cases.

BTW Are there any formal benchmarks on the Net ?

rec> 5)Where can I find up-to-date information about GCC for Win32?
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ in case you use Cygnus

rec> 6)How can I create the .a archives?
ar rvs <name of archive> <list of object files>

Best regards,
 Roman                            mailto:roman@nstl.nnov.ru

* GCC for Win95
@ 1999-12-31 23:54 ` realthing

[...]