* Errors in pairs
@ 2018-03-24 20:07 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2018-03-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: David Malcolm

Hi everybody,

while bug-hunting I noticed that we emit lots of erros in pairs in
check_final_overrider (cp/search.c), e.g.:

   error ("invalid covariant return type for %q+#D", overrider);
   error ("  overriding %q+#D", basefn);

I would expect the second line to be emitted as a note (using inform).
Is there a reason for this or should that be changed?

Regards,
Volker

* Re: Errors in pairs
@ 2018-03-24 21:35 ` Paolo Carlini
From: Paolo Carlini @ 2018-03-24 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt, gcc; +Cc: David Malcolm

Hi,

On 24/03/2018 21:06, Volker Reichelt wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> while bug-hunting I noticed that we emit lots of erros in pairs in
> check_final_overrider (cp/search.c), e.g.:
>
>   error ("invalid covariant return type for %q+#D", overrider);
>   error ("  overriding %q+#D", basefn);
>
> I would expect the second line to be emitted as a note (using inform).
> Is there a reason for this or should that be changed?
IMHO that should be changed. As you may or may not have noticed,
personally I took care of many of such issues, but obviously not of this
one (I'm not surprised, I remember thinking a few times "I should come
back to this one too..."). I encourage you to send patches!

Paolo.

* Re: Errors in pairs
@ 2018-03-25 14:20   ` Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2018-03-25 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Carlini, gcc; +Cc: David Malcolm

On 03/24/2018 10:35 PM, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24/03/2018 21:06, Volker Reichelt wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> while bug-hunting I noticed that we emit lots of erros in pairs in
>> check_final_overrider (cp/search.c), e.g.:
>>
>>   error ("invalid covariant return type for %q+#D", overrider);
>>   error ("  overriding %q+#D", basefn);
>>
>> I would expect the second line to be emitted as a note (using inform).
>> Is there a reason for this or should that be changed?
> IMHO that should be changed. As you may or may not have noticed,
> personally I took care of many of such issues, but obviously not of
> this one (I'm not surprised, I remember thinking a few times "I should
> come back to this one too..."). I encourage you to send patches!
>
> Paolo.

OK, here we go:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2018-03/msg01364.html

Regards,
Volker

* Re: Errors in pairs
@ 2018-03-26 11:17 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2018-03-26 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt, gcc; +Cc: David Malcolm

On 03/24/2018 04:06 PM, Volker Reichelt wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> while bug-hunting I noticed that we emit lots of erros in pairs in
> check_final_overrider (cp/search.c), e.g.:
>
>    error ("invalid covariant return type for %q+#D", overrider);
>    error ("  overriding %q+#D", basefn);
>
> I would expect the second line to be emitted as a note (using inform).
> Is there a reason for this or should that be changed?

Probably a sign the code predates 'inform' and/or the error-limit
option.  As Paolo says, this should be changed.

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell