* What loop optimizations could increase the code size significantly?
@ 2010-12-10 19:41 Fang, Changpeng
From: Fang, Changpeng @ 2010-12-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-help; +Cc: Fang, Changpeng

Hi,

 I am kooking ways to reduce the code size. What loop optimizations could increase the code size significantly?
The optimization I know are: unswitch, vectorization, prefetch and unrolling.
We should not perform these optimizations if the loop just roll a few iterations.

In addition, what loop optimizations could generate pre- and/or post loops?
For example, vectorization, unrolling,

Thanks,

Changpeng

* Re: What loop optimizations could increase the code size significantly?
@ 2010-12-10 20:28 ` Gan
From: Gan @ 2010-12-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fang, Changpeng; +Cc: gcc, gcc-help

Software pipeline (a.k.a, sms) generates prologue and epilogue code.
In addition, loop versioning duplicates loop body, which would also
increase code size. But I guess you don't want to turn on SWP, right?

Gan

--
Best Regards

Gan