* Template instantiation stack messages "staggered" -- why?
@ 2005-08-05 18:21 James Widman
From: James Widman @ 2005-08-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Something about GCC's instantiation stack messages seems curious to
me:  for a given stack layer, the location in the message is not that
of the template instance name that appears in the same message, but
instead the point of instantiation of a template instance named in
the immediately preceding message.  (So the shallowest point of
instantiation is always given in a message that reads "instantiated
from here".)

I can't see anything wrong with this approach, but I can't see the
advantage either.  (AFAIK, GCC is unique in this respect:  there are
other compilers that produce instantiation stacks, but for each of
the ones that I've seen, each stack message contains both a template
instance name and its corresponding POI.)

James Widman
--
Gimpel Software
http://gimpel.com

* Re: Template instantiation stack messages "staggered" -- why?
@ 2005-08-05 18:31 ` James Widman
From: James Widman @ 2005-08-05 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:22 PM, James Widman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Something about GCC's instantiation stack messages seems curious to
> me:  for a given stack layer, the location in the message is not
> that of the template instance name that appears in the same
> message, but instead the point of instantiation of a template
> instance named in the immediately preceding message.  (So the
> shallowest point of instantiation is always given in a message that
> reads "instantiated from here".)

I realise that ISO 14.6.4.1 defines "point of instantiation" to mean
something different from the meaning I implied above, but I couldn't
think of a correct short descriptor for those locations.

James Widman
--
Gimpel Software
http://gimpel.com