* How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?‏
@ 2011-06-18  9:24 theUser BL
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: theUser BL @ 2011-06-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!

Currently I have nothing about it found in the mailinglist. So I try to ask it: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?

Have a look at the latest press news of PathScale:
http://www.pathscale.com/taxonomy/term/27

Have additional a look at this articls of phronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTU2OA

The important things:
EKOPath will be step by step opend. First published opend code you can find at
https://github.com/path64

At
http://www.pathscale.com/ekopath-compiler-suite
you can download nightly builds.
To compile a helloworld.c program type
$ ~/ekopath-4.0.10/bin/pathcc helloworld.c -o helloworld

You can use different benchmarks. For me it seems, that with EKOPath compiled programs are a lot faster then with GCC.

The only disadvantage is. that currently EKOPath exists only for 64bit systems with x86_64 CPUs.

But how will the OpenSource EKOPath effect GCC?
Can GCC make use of some EKOPath code? (EKOPath itself uses parts of GCC)
Or can GCC learn from it by studying it?

Greatings
theuserbl

* RE: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?‏
@ 2011-06-18  9:56 ` theUser BL
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: theUser BL @ 2011-06-18  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> You can use different benchmarks. For me it seems, that with EKOPath compiled programs are a lot faster then with GCC.

Hmm.. have tested it again.
It seems, that this is only true without GCC-optimization.
With the option -O I no longer see any difference between the performance of GCC and EKOPath. :-/

@ 2011-06-18 10:05 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2011-06-18 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theUser BL; +Cc: gcc

On 06/18/2011 11:24 AM, theUser BL wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Currently I have nothing about it found in the mailinglist. So I try to ask it:
> How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?

Perhaps in this way ?

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2011-06/msg00141.html

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/

* Re: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?‏
@ 2011-06-18 11:29 ` Liu
From: Liu @ 2011-06-18 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theUser BL; +Cc: gcc

2011/6/18 theUser BL <theuserbl@hotmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> Currently I have nothing about it found in the mailinglist. So I try to ask it: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?
>
> Have a look at the latest press news of PathScale:
> http://www.pathscale.com/taxonomy/term/27
>
> Have additional a look at this articls of phronix:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTU2OA
>

> The important things:
> EKOPath will be step by step opend. First published opend code you can find at
> https://github.com/path64
>
> At
> http://www.pathscale.com/ekopath-compiler-suite
> you can download nightly builds.
> To compile a helloworld.c program type
> $ ~/ekopath-4.0.10/bin/pathcc helloworld.c -o helloworld
>
> You can use different benchmarks. For me it seems, that with EKOPath compiled programs are a lot faster then with GCC.
>
> The only disadvantage is. that currently EKOPath exists only for 64bit systems with x86_64 CPUs.
>
> But how will the OpenSource EKOPath effect GCC?
> Can GCC make use of some EKOPath code? (EKOPath itself uses parts of GCC)
> Or can GCC learn from it by studying it?
>
> Greatings
> theuserbl

Hi theuserbl

Chris is your boss?

I know that EKOPath is much more better than open64, but open64 can
compile nothing but spec2000.
So, you want something about Effect, still?

GCC is the real compiler that can work! GCC can bootstrap, can compile
Linux Kernel, can compile GNU LibC, can compile almost everything.
Will open64? Does open64 really can be used? or just a tony with a
really suck codes?

GCC is the only choice in the real world except LLVM, but never open64.

--Liu

* RE: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?‏
@ 2011-06-18 16:47   ` theUser BL
From: theUser BL @ 2011-06-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: proljc, gcc

Hi Liu

> Chris is your boss?

No. Who is Chris?

> I know that EKOPath is much more better than open64,

And could code of it useful for GCC or not?

> but open64 can compile nothing but spec2000.

Open64? I have googled at it. Do you mean that at

http://www.open64.net/

I talked about Path64

https://github.com/path64

But you are right, at

http://www.open64.net/about-open64.html

there stand, that PathScale using it for EKOPath.

And interestingly Open64 is a port of the old SGI-compiler.

So Irix was written with MIPSPro and Open64 is a derivated work of it? Thats nice.

> So, you want something about Effect, still?

Yes. And I am looking, if there existing other OpenSource Compiler then GCC, which could be better in some areas.

> GCC is the real compiler that can work! GCC can bootstrap, can compile
> Linux Kernel, can compile GNU LibC, can compile almost everything.

> Will open64? Does open64 really can be used? or just a tony with a
> really suck codes?

Why do you talk everytime about open64, when I talk about Path64?

Open64 is the old one. I think if there existing nice code in it, GCC already have using it.

Path64 is the new one, which opens.

> GCC is the only choice in the real world except LLVM, but never open64.

Can you descripe it a little bit more clear?

What are the disadvantages of Open64 and what are the disadvantages of EKOPath/Path64?

And if it have only disadvantages over GCC, why are people still working on Open64 and EKOPath/Path64?

As I see, the newest version of Open64 was released April 13th, 2011.

And EKOPath will now the times opened and becomes lot of updates.

Open64 is under the GPL (similar to the GCC).

But if GCC is the better one, why using PathScale for EKOPath and ENZO Open64 as base?

But as I said before, it looks that PathScale using additional lot of parts of GCC:

https://github.com/path64/compiler/tree/master/GCC

https://github.com/path64/compiler/tree/master/gcc_incl

@ 2011-06-18 19:03     ` Liu
From: Liu @ 2011-06-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theUser BL; +Cc: gcc

2011/6/19 theUser BL <theuserbl@hotmail.com>:

> Hi Liu
>

>> Chris is your boss?
>

> No. Who is Chris?
>

>> I know that EKOPath is much more better than open64,
>

> And could code of it useful for GCC or not?
>

>> but open64 can compile nothing but spec2000.
>

> Open64? I have googled at it. Do you mean that at
>
> http://www.open64.net/
>

> I talked about Path64
>
> https://github.com/path64
>

> But you are right, at
>
> http://www.open64.net/about-open64.html
>
> there stand, that PathScale using it for EKOPath.
>

> And interestingly Open64 is a port of the old SGI-compiler.
>
> So Irix was written with MIPSPro and Open64 is a derivated work of it? Thats nice.
>

>> So, you want something about Effect, still?
>

> Yes. And I am looking, if there existing other OpenSource Compiler then GCC, which could be better in some areas.
>

>> GCC is the real compiler that can work! GCC can bootstrap, can compile
>> Linux Kernel, can compile GNU LibC, can compile almost everything.
>
>> Will open64? Does open64 really can be used? or just a tony with a
>> really suck codes?
>

> Why do you talk everytime about open64, when I talk about Path64?
>
> Open64 is the old one. I think if there existing nice code in it, GCC already have using it.
>
> Path64 is the new one, which opens.
>

>> GCC is the only choice in the real world except LLVM, but never open64.
>

> Can you descripe it a little bit more clear?
>
> What are the disadvantages of Open64 and what are the disadvantages of EKOPath/Path64?
>

> And if it have only disadvantages over GCC, why are people still working on Open64 and EKOPath/Path64?
>
> As I see, the newest version of Open64 was released April 13th, 2011.
>
> And EKOPath will now the times opened and becomes lot of updates.
>

> Open64 is under the GPL (similar to the GCC).
>
> But if GCC is the better one, why using PathScale for EKOPath and ENZO Open64 as base?
>

> But as I said before, it looks that PathScale using additional lot of parts of GCC:
>
> https://github.com/path64/compiler/tree/master/GCC
>
> https://github.com/path64/compiler/tree/master/gcc_incl
>

> Greatings
>
> theuserbl

Hi theuserbl

What I mean is pathcc is much more better than open64, but not enough
to gcc. For pathcc and open64 have the same code-base!

Why Pathscale chose it? Fred Chow!

Open64 always say "we will replace gcc" for almost 20 years... it
still play with spec2000, only!

--Liu

* Re: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?‏
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-20 11:05 ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2011-06-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theUser BL; +Cc: gcc

2011/6/18 theUser BL <theuserbl@hotmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> Currently I have nothing about it found in the mailinglist. So I try to ask it: How effect the OpenSource EKOPath the GCC ?
>
> Have a look at the latest press news of PathScale:
> http://www.pathscale.com/taxonomy/term/27
>
> Have additional a look at this articls of phronix:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTU2OA

Phoronix always picks two single (and stupid) benchmarks.  Those
have been analyzed already and we know why GCC is not performing
well (but two trivial benchmark source modifications will make it perform).

Don't be fooled by benchmark numbers.  Always benchmark the application
you are interested in (and verify its output).

Richard.