* I am soon to be ...
@ 2004-11-29 16:29 Ric Thornborough
From: Ric Thornborough @ 2004-11-29 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

... an unemployed application programmer after 15 years of continuous work.
I want to "tech" myself up a bit for a month or two before interviewing. I
own a very nice Dell desktop at home but it lacks the tools to continue
doing C/C++ on a Solaris platform. I am thinking of purchasing Sun's Solaris
9 for Intel. I would then want to download a GNU compiler for my programming
efforts. Is the GNU compiler compatible with Solaris for Intel? Am I on the
right track and doing the right thing?

Many thanks,
Ric

* Re: I am soon to be ...
@ 2004-11-29 18:35 ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2004-11-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Ric Thornborough, gcc

On Monday 29 Nov 2004 16:09, Ric Thornborough wrote:
> ... an unemployed application programmer after 15 years of continuous work.
> I want to "tech" myself up a bit for a month or two before interviewing. I
> own a very nice Dell desktop at home but it lacks the tools to continue
> doing C/C++ on a Solaris platform. I am thinking of purchasing Sun's
> Solaris 9 for Intel. I would then want to download a GNU compiler for my
> programming efforts. Is the GNU compiler compatible with Solaris for Intel?
> Am I on the right track and doing the right thing?

Isn't Solaris 10 a free download for non-commercial use? It has a very narrow
HW compatibility list IIRC. But in any case, since Solaris is already on your
CV, just install linux. Then everything works, and is nicely supported on
this and many other mailing lists :)

Andrew

* Re: I am soon to be ...
@ 2004-11-30 13:43 ` Aaron W. LaFramboise
From: Aaron W. LaFramboise @ 2004-11-30 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ric Thornborough; +Cc: gcc

Ric Thornborough wrote:

> efforts. Is the GNU compiler compatible with Solaris for Intel? Am I on the

One nit is that SunCC C++ supports cfront-style separate template
compilation (no export though), and GCC doesn't support this at all.

This is unfortunately a barrier to adoption of GCC at my local university.

If anyone has any experience hacking GCC to have similar separate
compilation features, I'd love to hear about it.  I don't think it would
be difficult, as SunCC's implementation of the feature is broken and
limited in numerous ways that make it a lot easier to implement than
something like export.

Aaron W. LaFramboise