* Why is my executabel in DOS file format?
@ 2004-02-29  2:40 Meg Abyte
From: Meg Abyte @ 2004-02-29  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

HI,
  I have compile the GNU GCC tools for the Motorola MCORE on a RH linux
system. However, when I make the executabel (.s19) it produces it in a DOS
file format (carriage return and line feed). To fix it I have to convert it
to " unix" format (just line feed).

  Why is this? How can I make it produce the executabel (.s19) in UNIX file
format??

Thanks

* Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?
@ 2004-03-02  1:11 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-03-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meg Abyte; +Cc: gcc

Meg Abyte wrote:
>  I have compile the GNU GCC tools for the Motorola MCORE on a RH linux
> system. However, when I make the executabel (.s19) it produces it in a
> DOS file format

Gcc produces only assembly output files, and these are unlikely to be in
the wrong format.

Normally the assembler files are turned into binaries by the
assembler/linker.  Binaries are not text files, so there isn't an issue
here about how to end lines of text.  The assembler/linker are in a
separate package called binutils.

I don't know what you mean by a .s19 executable file.  Whatever tool you
are using to create the .s19 files is the one that has the problem.
This is not gcc, and perhaps not even binutils.  Unless perhaps this is
some kind of hex dump format, in which case binutils could be producing
it.  Some kinds of hex dumps might default to DOS file format because
some ROM programmers expect to receive DOS files as input, and won't
work if fed UNIX files.  In any case, binutils problems should not be
discussed here.  Try bug-binutils@gnu.org if this is a binutils issue.

* Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?
@ 2004-03-02  1:25   ` tm_gccmail
From: tm_gccmail @ 2004-03-02  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: Meg Abyte, gcc

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jim Wilson wrote:

> Meg Abyte wrote:
> >  I have compile the GNU GCC tools for the Motorola MCORE on a RH linux
> > system. However, when I make the executabel (.s19) it produces it in a
> > DOS file format
>
> Gcc produces only assembly output files, and these are unlikely to be in
> the wrong format.
>
> Normally the assembler files are turned into binaries by the
> assembler/linker.  Binaries are not text files, so there isn't an issue
> here about how to end lines of text.  The assembler/linker are in a
> separate package called binutils.
>
> I don't know what you mean by a .s19 executable file.  Whatever tool you
> are using to create the .s19 files is the one that has the problem.
> This is not gcc, and perhaps not even binutils.  Unless perhaps this is
> some kind of hex dump format, in which case binutils could be producing
> it.  Some kinds of hex dumps might default to DOS file format because
> some ROM programmers expect to receive DOS files as input, and won't
> work if fed UNIX files.  In any case, binutils problems should not be
> discussed here.  Try bug-binutils@gnu.org if this is a binutils issue.

The .s19 file is probably a Motorola S-record format file which uses
S1 and S9 lines for data and end-of-file marks.

So basically, he's complaining that the Motorola S-record files produced
by GNU LD use DOS line terminators, which should be discussed on
the binutils list or if he's using cygwin, on the cygwin list.

Toshi

* Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?
@ 2004-03-02  2:48     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-03-02  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tm_gccmail; +Cc: Jim Wilson, Meg Abyte, gcc

<tm_gccmail@kloo.net> writes:

> The .s19 file is probably a Motorola S-record format file which uses
> S1 and S9 lines for data and end-of-file marks.
>
> So basically, he's complaining that the Motorola S-record files produced
> by GNU LD use DOS line terminators, which should be discussed on
> the binutils list or if he's using cygwin, on the cygwin list.

In fact S-records are supposed to end lines with \r\n, and that is how
BFD creates them.  S-record files look a lot like text files, but of
course they are not.  They are easily-readable binary files which are
then fed to PROM programmers and the like.

But, yes, this is off-topic for gcc.

Ian

* Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?
@ 2004-03-02  6:36 Meg Abyte
From: Meg Abyte @ 2004-03-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilson; +Cc: gcc

>Meg Abyte wrote:
>>  I have compile the GNU GCC tools for the Motorola MCORE on a RH linux
>>system. However, when I make the executabel (.s19) it produces it in a DOS
>>file format
>
>Gcc produces only assembly output files, and these are unlikely to be in
>the wrong format.
>
>Normally the assembler files are turned into binaries by the
>assembler/linker.  Binaries are not text files, so there isn't an issue
>here about how to end lines of text.  The assembler/linker are in a
>separate package called binutils.
>I don't know what you mean by a .s19 executable file.  Whatever tool you
>are using to create the .s19 files is the one that has the problem. This is
>not gcc, and perhaps not even binutils.  Unless perhaps this is some kind
>of hex dump format, in which case binutils could be producing it.  Some
>kinds of hex dumps might default to DOS file format because some ROM
>programmers expect to receive DOS files as input, and won't work if fed
>UNIX files.  In any case, binutils problems should not be discussed here.
>Try bug-binutils@gnu.org if this is a binutils issue.
>--

Ok, I will try the address you gave. Yes, the executable is produced by the
linker and it is a text file that gets sent to a microprocessor or
programmed into Flash memory. However, it needs to have dos2unix run on it -
thus my need to get rid of the CR-LF, and just have LF.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca