* Re: Inefficient code
@ 2018-07-06 10:18 Bernd Edlinger
From: Bernd Edlinger @ 2018-07-06 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: gcc

You can get much better code if you make xrci a bit field.
so the entire bit filed region can be accessed word-wise:

#include <stdint.h>

struct Xrb
{
    uint16_t xrlen;             /* Length of I/O buffer in bytes */
    uint16_t xrbc;              /* Byte count for transfer */
    void * xrloc;               /* Pointer to I/O buffer */
    uint8_t xrci:8;             /* Channel number times 2 for transfer */
    uint32_t xrblk:24;  /* Random access block number */
    uint16_t xrtime;    /* Wait time for terminal input */
    uint16_t xrmod;             /* Modifiers */
};

void test(struct Xrb *XRB)
{
    XRB->xrblk = 5;
}

Bernd.

* Re: Inefficient code
@ 2018-07-06 12:55 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2018-07-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Edlinger; +Cc: gcc

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 6:18 AM, Bernd Edlinger <bernd.edlinger@hotmail.de> wrote:
>
> You can get much better code if you make xrci a bit field.
> so the entire bit filed region can be accessed word-wise:
>

> #include <stdint.h>
>
> struct Xrb
> {
>    uint16_t xrlen;             /* Length of I/O buffer in bytes */
>    uint16_t xrbc;              /* Byte count for transfer */
>    void * xrloc;               /* Pointer to I/O buffer */
>    uint8_t xrci:8;             /* Channel number times 2 for transfer */
>    uint32_t xrblk:24;  /* Random access block number */
>    uint16_t xrtime;    /* Wait time for terminal input */
>    uint16_t xrmod;             /* Modifiers */
> };
>
> void test(struct Xrb *XRB)
> {
>    XRB->xrblk = 5;
> }
>

> Bernd.

That helps with x86.  It makes no difference with xstormy16, and it makes things slightly worse with pdp11 (though I can fiddle with the patterns to help with that; there's a zero_extend optimization I haven't coded yet).

On the other hand, since the two are equivalent it's reasonable to call this a missed optimization.

	paul

* Re: Inefficient code
@ 2018-07-06  6:54               ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2018-07-06  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: gcc

> Xstormy does 3 mov.b also.  For that matter, so does the x86 target (both
> -m32 and -m64).  Hm.

Indeed, even at -Os, so this may be a generic issue.

--
Eric Botcazou

* Re: Inefficient code
@ 2018-07-06  1:04             ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2018-07-06  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

@ 2018-07-06  1:01           ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2018-07-06  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

@ 2018-07-05 22:47         ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2018-07-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: gcc

@ 2018-07-05 20:53       ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2018-07-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:44 PM, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@adacore.com> wrote:

> The GIMPLE pass responsible for the optimization simply punts for the "funny-
> endian ordering" of the PDP11.  More generally, you shouldn't expect anything
> sparkling for such a peculiar architecture as the PDP11.

Ok.  Yet another item for the machine specific optimization pass (to be written).

@ 2018-07-05 20:44     ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2018-07-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: gcc, Segher Boessenkool

> I just constructed another test case that shows the same issue more
> blatantly:
>
> struct s
> {
>     char a;
>     char b;
>     char c;
>     char d;
>     int e;
>     int f;
>     char h;
>     char i;
> };

No, it's not the same issue.

@ 2018-07-05 16:29   ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2018-07-05 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Segher Boessenkool; +Cc: GCC Development

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 12:01 PM, Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:45:30AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
>> I have a struct that looks like this:
>>
>> struct Xrb
>> {
>>    uint16_t xrlen;		/* Length of I/O buffer in bytes */
>>    uint16_t xrbc;		/* Byte count for transfer */
>>    void * xrloc;		/* Pointer to I/O buffer */
>>    uint8_t xrci;		/* Channel number times 2 for transfer */
>>    uint32_t xrblk:24;	/* Random access block number */
>>    uint16_t xrtime;	/* Wait time for terminal input */
>>    uint16_t xrmod;		/* Modifiers */
>> };
>>
>> When I write to xrblk (that 24 bit field) on my 16 bit target, I get unexpectly inefficient output:
>>
>>    XRB->xrblk = 5;
>>
>> 	movb	#5,10(r0)
>> 	clrb	11(r0)
>> 	clrb	7(r0)
>
> (7? not 12?)

Octal offsets.  It's writing the 3 bytes in LSB to MSB order.  (PDP11 -- which has funny-endian ordering.)

> rather than the expected word write to the word-aligned lower half of that field.
>>
>> Looking at the dumps, I see it coming into the RTL expand phase as a single write, which expand then turns into the three insns corresponding to the above.  But (of course) there is a word (HImode) move also, which has the same cost as the byte one.
>>
>> Is there something I have to do in my target definition to get this to come out right?  This is a strict_alignment target, but alignment is satisfied in this example.  Also, SLOW_BYTE_ACCESS is 1.
>
> What is your MOVE_MAX?  It should be 2 probably.

It is.

@ 2018-07-05 16:01 ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2018-07-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: GCC Development

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:45:30AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> I have a struct that looks like this:
>
> struct Xrb
> {
>     uint16_t xrlen;		/* Length of I/O buffer in bytes */
>     uint16_t xrbc;		/* Byte count for transfer */
>     void * xrloc;		/* Pointer to I/O buffer */
>     uint8_t xrci;		/* Channel number times 2 for transfer */
>     uint32_t xrblk:24;	/* Random access block number */
>     uint16_t xrtime;	/* Wait time for terminal input */
>     uint16_t xrmod;		/* Modifiers */
> };
>
> When I write to xrblk (that 24 bit field) on my 16 bit target, I get unexpectly inefficient output:
>
>     XRB->xrblk = 5;
>
> 	movb	#5,10(r0)
> 	clrb	11(r0)
> 	clrb	7(r0)

(7? not 12?)

> rather than the expected word write to the word-aligned lower half of that field.
>
> Looking at the dumps, I see it coming into the RTL expand phase as a single write, which expand then turns into the three insns corresponding to the above.  But (of course) there is a word (HImode) move also, which has the same cost as the byte one.
>
> Is there something I have to do in my target definition to get this to come out right?  This is a strict_alignment target, but alignment is satisfied in this example.  Also, SLOW_BYTE_ACCESS is 1.

What is your MOVE_MAX?  It should be 2 probably.

Segher

* Inefficient code
@ 2018-07-05 12:46 Paul Koning