From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com>
To: Paul Koning <paulkoning@comcast.net>
Cc: GCC Development <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Can't build Ada
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:13:31 -0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 12:08 PM Paul Koning <paulkoning@comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Nov 25, 2022, at 3:03 PM, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Paul Koning via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to use fairly recent GCC sources (the gcc-darwin branch to be precise) to build Ada, starting with the latest (2020) release of Gnat from Adacore.
> >
> > Are you building a cross compiler or a native compiler?
> > If you are building a cross, you need to bootstrap a native compiler first.
>
> I'm not sure.  The installed Gnat is x86_64-darwin; I want to build aarch64-darwin.

You have to build a x86_64-darwin compiler first with the same sources
as you are building for aarch64-darwin.

> But in any case, how does that relate to the error messages I got?  They don't seem to have anything to do with missing compilers, but rather with the use of language features too new for the available (downloadable) Gnat.

From https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html:
"In order to build a cross compiler, it is strongly recommended to
install the new compiler as native first, and then use it to build the
cross compiler. Other native compiler versions may work but this is
not guaranteed and *****will typically fail with hard to understand
compilation errors during the build.****"

I added the emphasis but yes this is all documented correctly.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski