From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com>
Cc: James Y Knight <foom@fuhm.net>, "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Long-term plan for C++98/C++11 incompatibility
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 07:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM, James Y Knight <foom@fuhm.net> wrote:
>
>> I guess to start, it would have been nice if there was a big warning on
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html telling me not to use c++0x mode
>> unless there are no objects compiled with c++98 linked into the same
>> executable.
>
> Gabriel Dos Reis [gdr@integrable-solutions.net] wrote:
>> I was under the impression c++0x was explicitly documented as experimental.
>
> Yes. But I hope that some thought is devoted to figuring out how this problem
> can be dealt with when c++11 support is transitioned to a fully supported feature.

C++11 is essentially binary incompatible with C++98.

The best thing people should do is to take it seriously that that they should
not attempt to mix or play loose.

> Eventually there would need to be one libstdc++ that programs link against and
> run whether they use c++98 or c++11. I would expect there to be restrictions,
> but it's a problem that eventually needs to be tackled.

My opinion is that it would an exercise in futility, frustration, and
possibly deception
to try to make people believe that there are sets of simple rules they
can follow
to mix their C++98 binaries with fully compatible C++11 library.  They
would have to
recompile the source code.