* GSoC age limit
@ 2021-02-10 10:16 oilab kowaski
From: oilab kowaski @ 2021-02-10 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi! I am very interested in parsers and compilers. I would be very happy to
participating in the development of GNU Rust compiler by applying to the
Google Summer of Code. But I am 17 years old and I do not satisfy the
requirements of the GSoC. What would you suggest me to do?

* Re: GSoC age limit
@ 2021-02-10 12:25 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-02-10 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oilab kowaski; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10 2021, oilab kowaski via Gcc wrote:
> Hi! I am very interested in parsers and compilers. I would be very happy to
> participating in the development of GNU Rust compiler by applying to the
> Google Summer of Code. But I am 17 years old and I do not satisfy the
> requirements of the GSoC. What would you suggest me to do?

I am afraid that means that there is no way for you to be paid this
year, at least not by Google.

That does not mean you cannot pursue your interest in parsers and
compilers with us though.  Look at the gcc-rust repo (currently on
github), contact the authors and see if you can contribute to the effort
informally.  I am sure they will appreciate any help.

I am also sure that there will be work to be done on the Rust-gcc front
end for years to come, so if you become a contributor this year, you
will be in a prime position to become our GSoC student next year.

I understand that the financial renumeration is an important incentive
to participate in GSoC but I am afraid we cannot offer any more help,
Google will not change their rules for us.

Martin

* Re: GSoC age limit
@ 2021-02-10 15:14   ` Philip Herron
From: Philip Herron @ 2021-02-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: oilab kowaski, gcc

Hi,

I am the maintainer for the GCC Rust project and feel free to ask questions
and join our zulip server I can help mentor you on some work if you want to
gain experience.

You will need to get proficient with C++ so I think spending time getting
used to writing C++ would be a great thing to do in the meantime as well.

Thanks

--Phil