* Google GSOC Idea
@ 2020-12-27 12:44 Alper G.
From: Alper G. @ 2020-12-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello, I am waiting for your suggestions and evaluations about an idea that
I am thinking about applying to this year's event of google gsoc. In short,
I can say about myself that I am an engineering student and worked on
compilers as well as several different fields. Nowadays, we see that
scripting languages such as javascript / typescript are more than just a
client-side language in the browser. In order to develop applications on
desktop and mobile devices, there are alternatives such as electron that
contain chromium and nodejs, have multi-disk-size requirements and cannot
be packaged statically before runtime, such as react-native. In order to
overcome such problems, it is necessary to create the ahead-of-time
compilation, which we are familiar with such as c / c ++, according to this
syntax and standards, and to call the graphics libraries and system calls
directly from within js. Therefore, I want to create a subset of gcc that
can be statically compiled and contains the ecmascript standards required
to run common js frameworks native. What are your comments on this idea? What
can we say about the acceptability for gsoc? It is comprehensive , but I
think it will come to a good point if taken care of during gsoc.

* Re: Google GSOC Idea
@ 2021-01-04 14:37 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-01-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alper G.; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 27 2020, Alper G. via Gcc wrote:
> Hello, I am waiting for your suggestions and evaluations about an idea that
> I am thinking about applying to this year's event of google gsoc. In short,
> I can say about myself that I am an engineering student and worked on
> compilers as well as several different fields. Nowadays, we see that
> scripting languages such as javascript / typescript are more than just a
> client-side language in the browser. In order to develop applications on
> desktop and mobile devices, there are alternatives such as electron that
> contain chromium and nodejs, have multi-disk-size requirements and cannot
> be packaged statically before runtime, such as react-native. In order to
> overcome such problems, it is necessary to create the ahead-of-time
> compilation, which we are familiar with such as c / c ++, according to this
> syntax and standards, and to call the graphics libraries and system calls
> directly from within js. Therefore, I want to create a subset of gcc that
> can be statically compiled and contains the ecmascript standards required
> to run common js frameworks native. What are your comments on this
> idea?

I'm afraid I don't understand it at all.  Making GCC "run common js
frameworks" makes very little sense to me.  Are you proposing some kind
of JavaScript Front-end (which is not a JIT)?

> What can we say about the acceptability for gsoc?

Well, unfortunately I can say only that I do not understand it.  If it
is the JavaScript Front-end, the project would too big for a GSoC, by
orders of magnitude, even if severely reduced in scope.

Martin

* Re: Google GSOC Idea
@ 2021-01-05 19:32   ` Alper G.
From: Alper G. @ 2021-01-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

I wanted to talk about a gcc front-end with the syntax js / ts, which is
ahead-of-time. The standard library will also contain basic functions that
will enable the use of several basic frameworks that can be used in
standard output. It was an e-mail that I could not fully explain because I
tried to correct the text a few times, I'm sorry :) We are a group of
several people who have already worked on compiler design and we thought of
applying this idea under the name gcc.

Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>, 4 Oca 2021 Pzt, 17:37 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 27 2020, Alper G. via Gcc wrote:
> > Hello, I am waiting for your suggestions and evaluations about an idea
> that
> > I am thinking about applying to this year's event of google gsoc. In
> short,
> > I can say about myself that I am an engineering student and worked on
> > compilers as well as several different fields. Nowadays, we see that
> > scripting languages such as javascript / typescript are more than just a
> > client-side language in the browser. In order to develop applications on
> > desktop and mobile devices, there are alternatives such as electron that
> > contain chromium and nodejs, have multi-disk-size requirements and cannot
> > be packaged statically before runtime, such as react-native. In order to
> > overcome such problems, it is necessary to create the ahead-of-time
> > compilation, which we are familiar with such as c / c ++, according to
> this
> > syntax and standards, and to call the graphics libraries and system calls
> > directly from within js. Therefore, I want to create a subset of gcc that
> > can be statically compiled and contains the ecmascript standards required
> > to run common js frameworks native. What are your comments on this
> > idea?
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand it at all.  Making GCC "run common js
> frameworks" makes very little sense to me.  Are you proposing some kind
> of JavaScript Front-end (which is not a JIT)?
>
> > What can we say about the acceptability for gsoc?
>
> Well, unfortunately I can say only that I do not understand it.  If it
> is the JavaScript Front-end, the project would too big for a GSoC, by
> orders of magnitude, even if severely reduced in scope.
>
> Martin

* Re: Google GSOC Idea
@ 2021-01-05 19:45     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-01-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alper G.; +Cc: Martin Jambor, GCC Development

Are you trying to propose a JavaScript / TypeScript front-end and
associated runtime for GCC?

I don't believe that anyone would object to that.  It probably is much
too ambitious for a GSoC project.  You could propose a subset as a
GSoC project.

It's unclear if you already have a preliminary implementation and want
to incrementally continue it, like a Hackathon, as part of GSoC.

Thanks, David

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 2:34 PM Alper G. via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I wanted to talk about a gcc front-end with the syntax js / ts, which is
> ahead-of-time. The standard library will also contain basic functions that
> will enable the use of several basic frameworks that can be used in
> standard output. It was an e-mail that I could not fully explain because I
> tried to correct the text a few times, I'm sorry :) We are a group of
> several people who have already worked on compiler design and we thought of
> applying this idea under the name gcc.
>
> Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>, 4 Oca 2021 Pzt, 17:37 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 27 2020, Alper G. via Gcc wrote:
> > > Hello, I am waiting for your suggestions and evaluations about an idea
> > that
> > > I am thinking about applying to this year's event of google gsoc. In
> > short,
> > > I can say about myself that I am an engineering student and worked on
> > > compilers as well as several different fields. Nowadays, we see that
> > > scripting languages such as javascript / typescript are more than just a
> > > client-side language in the browser. In order to develop applications on
> > > desktop and mobile devices, there are alternatives such as electron that
> > > contain chromium and nodejs, have multi-disk-size requirements and cannot
> > > be packaged statically before runtime, such as react-native. In order to
> > > overcome such problems, it is necessary to create the ahead-of-time
> > > compilation, which we are familiar with such as c / c ++, according to
> > this
> > > syntax and standards, and to call the graphics libraries and system calls
> > > directly from within js. Therefore, I want to create a subset of gcc that
> > > can be statically compiled and contains the ecmascript standards required
> > > to run common js frameworks native. What are your comments on this
> > > idea?
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't understand it at all.  Making GCC "run common js
> > frameworks" makes very little sense to me.  Are you proposing some kind
> > of JavaScript Front-end (which is not a JIT)?
> >
> > > What can we say about the acceptability for gsoc?
> >
> > Well, unfortunately I can say only that I do not understand it.  If it
> > is the JavaScript Front-end, the project would too big for a GSoC, by
> > orders of magnitude, even if severely reduced in scope.
> >
> > Martin

* Re: Google GSOC Idea
@ 2021-01-05 20:16       ` Alper G.
From: Alper G. @ 2021-01-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Martin Jambor, GCC Development

We have a pre-implementation trial, although it is not very extensive.
We intend to develop this during gsoc and take it forward in a planned
manner.

David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com>, 5 Oca 2021 Sal, 22:45 tarihinde şunu

* Re: Google GSOC Idea (JS/TS FE)
@ 2021-01-11 17:17         ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-01-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alper G.; +Cc: GCC Development, David Edelsohn

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 05 2021, Alper G. wrote:
> We have a pre-implementation trial, although it is not very extensive.
> We intend to develop this during gsoc and take it forward in a planned
> manner.

I know very little about JavaScript / TypeScript and so am not in a good
position to evaluate it, but this sounds interesting.  Is this
"pre-implementation" effort of yours available somewhere so that we can
have a look?

A GSoC project is supposed to be a work of one individual, which this
year should take about 175 hours.  Some specific steps towards an
implementation could probably fit the bill even if the whole FE would
obviously be way too big.  Different members of your group would need to
work on different things (as a part of their GSoC).

We would probably also like to see at least some hazy path to eventually
finish and upstream the effort, so knowing the plans beyond this years
GSoC would also be helpful.

Last but not least, we cannot really predict how many slots we'll get
from Google and how many students apply, so we cannot promise to accept
all projects we like.

However, I am intrigued.

Martin