On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 6:23 AM Jan Beulich via Gcc wrote: > On 03.04.2024 10:57, Richard Biener wrote: > > On Wed, 3 Apr 2024, Jan Beulich wrote: > >> On 03.04.2024 10:45, Jakub Jelinek wrote: > >>> On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 10:22:24AM +0200, Christophe Lyon wrote: > >>>> Any concerns/objections? > >>> > >>> I'm all for it, in fact I've been sending it like that myself for years > >>> even when the policy said not to. In most cases, the diff for the > >>> regenerated files is very small and it helps even in patch review to > >>> actually check if the configure.ac/m4 etc. changes result just in the > >>> expected changes and not some unrelated ones (e.g. caused by user using > >>> wrong version of autoconf/automake etc.). > >>> There can be exceptions, e.g. when in GCC we update from a new version > >>> of Unicode, the regenerated ucnid.h diff can be large and > >>> uname2c.h can be huge, such that it can trigger the mailing list size > >>> limits even when the patch is compressed, see e.g. > >>> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2023-November/636427.html > >>> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2023-November/636426.html > >>> But I think most configure or Makefile changes should be pretty small, > >>> usual changes shouldn't rewrite everything in those files. > >> > >> Which may then call for a policy saying "include generate script diff-s, > >> but don't include generated data file ones"? At least on the binutils > >> side, dealing (for CI) with what e.g. opcodes/*-gen produce ought to be > >> possible by having something along the lines of "maintainer mode light". > > > > I'd say we should send generated files when it fits the mailing list > > limits (and possibly simply lift those limits?). > > Well, that would allow patches making it through, but it would still > severely increase overall size. I'm afraid more people than not also > fail to cut down reply context, so we'd further see (needlessly) huge > replies to patches as well. > > Additionally - how does one up front determine "fits the mailing list > limits"? My mail UI (Thunderbird) doesn't show me the size of a message > until I've actually sent it. > > > As a last resort > > do a series splitting the re-generation out (but I guess this would > > confuse the CI as well and of course for the push you want to squash > > again). > > Yeah, unless the CI would only ever test full series, this wouldn't help. > It's also imo even more cumbersome than simply stripping the generated > file parts from emails. > Massive patches need special handling either way; I wouldn't lift the mailing list limits because of this change. I'm in favor of this change for typical patches. Jason