From: Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com>
To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GSoC: Working on the static analyzer
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:41:33 +0530	[thread overview]

Hi, sir.

I've been trying to understand the static analyzer's code. I spent most of
my time learning the state machine's API. I learned how state machine's
on_stmt is supposed to "recognize" specific functions and how on_transition
takes a specific tree from one state to another, and how the captured
states are used by pending_diagnostics to report the errors. Furthermore, I
was able to create a dummy checker that mimicked the behaviour of sm-file's
double_fclose and compile GCC with these changes. Is this the right way of
learning?

As you've mentioned on the projects page that you would like to add more
support for some POSIX APIs. Can you please write (or refer me to a) a
simple C program that uses such an API (and also what the analyzer should
have done) so that I can attempt to add such a checker to the analyzer.

Also, I didn't realize the complexity of adding SARIF when I mentioned it.
I'd rather work on adding more checkers.

Regards.

Mir Immad