* Interested to contribute in gsoc project
@ 2018-03-04 19:28 shreya pohekar
From: shreya pohekar @ 2018-03-04 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello ,
I am Shreya Pohekar, 2nd year student of University Institute of Technology ,RGPV ,Bhopal, India. I am interested in applying in GSoC 2018, and would like to contribute to the project : Parallelize the compilation using threads.

I am working with c/c++ for a long time and would be an appropriate candidate for this project. I have worked a bit on GCC as well , when I was learning ARM exploitation.

Can you guide me from where to get started? Or anything additional that I need to study.

Thanks

Regards,
Shreya
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

* Re: Interested to contribute in gsoc project
@ 2018-03-05 15:31 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2018-03-05 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shreya pohekar; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 8:28 PM, shreya pohekar <shreyapohekar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello ,
> I am Shreya Pohekar, 2nd year student of University Institute of Technology ,RGPV ,Bhopal, India. I am interested in applying in GSoC 2018, and would like to contribute to the project : Parallelize the compilation using threads.
>
> I am working with c/c++ for a long time and would be an appropriate candidate for this project. I have worked a bit on GCC as well , when I was learning ARM exploitation.
>
> Can you guide me from where to get started? Or anything additional that I need to study.

A good starting point is the GCC WIKI at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki - there's a
Getting Started with GCC Development section.  It's good to get one
self familiar
with building GCC from source and to see how to do edit/compile/debug cycles.

For the project in question you need to make yourself familiar with
the highlevel
compilation flow.  toplev.c is where the main controlling pieces stick together.
See do_compile -> compile_file -> symtab->finalize_compulation_unit -> compile
which will eventually lead to the "pass manager".  The ultimate task would be
to change the "pass manager" to execute chunks of passes in parallel and the
first hurdle is to identify chunks that can be executed in parallel without too
many changes (read: least global shared state).

Richard.

@ 2018-03-06  4:57   ` shreya pohekar
From: shreya pohekar @ 2018-03-06  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc