* Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-12 18:53 Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-04-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes to
reload the page?

Opening the page in a new tab shows the changes have been saved, but
the page still keeps loading. Is there some kind of re-indexing going
on which is incredibly inefficient?  Or does the moinmoinwiki code
simply not close the TCP connection or something silly like that?

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-12 19:00 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-04-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 12 April 2012 19:53, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes to
> reload the page?

By several I mean in excess of ten minutes where my browser is still
spinning saying the page is loading!

@ 2012-04-12 19:10   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2012-04-12 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc

On 4/12/12 3:00 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 12 April 2012 19:53, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes to
>> reload the page?
>
> By several I mean in excess of ten minutes where my browser is still
> spinning saying the page is loading!

Yes.  I've noticed this for a long time now.  I never really bothered
figuring out why.

My trick is to cancel the transfer and click 'save' again.  It then
comes back with the message 'you already saved this page!'.  Which I ignore.

Diego.

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-13  8:05     ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2012-04-13  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, gcc

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/12 3:00 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>
>> On 12 April 2012 19:53, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>>
>>> Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes to
>>> reload the page?
>>

>> By several I mean in excess of ten minutes where my browser is still
>> spinning saying the page is loading!
>

> Yes.  I've noticed this for a long time now.  I never really bothered
> figuring out why.
>
> My trick is to cancel the transfer and click 'save' again.  It then comes
> back with the message 'you already saved this page!'.  Which I ignore.

Heh - that's what I do for years, too ;)  I suppose sth crashes on the server
side when you save the page, so the communication is broken mid-way.

Richard.

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-13 19:29       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2012-04-13 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Diego Novillo, Jonathan Wakely, gcc

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh - that's what I do for years, too ;)  I suppose sth crashes on the server
> side when you save the page, so the communication is broken mid-way.

I haven't looked at this in ages, but for GDB we had a problem with
mail notifications being synchronous.  The more people were signed up
to be notified about changes to the wiki, the slower saves finished.
Woe unto you if some of them had down mail servers.

Daniel

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-13 19:37         ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-04-13 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: Richard Guenther, Diego Novillo, gcc

On 13 April 2012 20:28, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Heh - that's what I do for years, too ;)  I suppose sth crashes on the server
>> side when you save the page, so the communication is broken mid-way.
>
> I haven't looked at this in ages, but for GDB we had a problem with
> mail notifications being synchronous.  The more people were signed up
> to be notified about changes to the wiki, the slower saves finished.
> Woe unto you if some of them had down mail servers.

Thanks for the clue.  I think Tobias Schwinge is the only person who
gets notifications from the GCC wiki, but maybe his mail server is the
culprit.

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-13 20:20           ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2012-04-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, Richard Guenther, gcc

On 4/13/12 3:37 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> Thanks for the clue.  I think Tobias Schwinge is the only person who
> gets notifications from the GCC wiki, but maybe his mail server is the
> culprit.

I generally subscribe to pages I author to watch for spammy edits.

Diego.

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-13 20:42             ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-04-13 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, Richard Guenther, gcc

On 13 April 2012 21:20, Diego Novillo wrote:
> On 4/13/12 3:37 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clue.  I think Tobias Schwinge is the only person who
>> gets notifications from the GCC wiki, but maybe his mail server is the
>> culprit.
>

> I generally subscribe to pages I author to watch for spammy edits.

Then I guess I've not edited your pages, only the ones Thomas (not
Tobias as I originally wrote, sorry) cares about :)

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-17 16:52 ` Steve McIntyre
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2012-04-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes
>to reload the page?
>
>Opening the page in a new tab shows the changes have been saved, but
>the page still keeps loading. Is there some kind of re-indexing going
>on which is incredibly inefficient?  Or does the moinmoinwiki code
>simply not close the TCP connection or something silly like that?

Looks like the gcc wiki is using the MoinMoin wiki engine, just like
us at wiki.debian.org (where I'm a wiki admin). We've had exactly the
same problem. See

  http://bugs.debian.org/668000

for more details of what I found - it's the time taken to scan the
list of users looking for subscription data. I've just added a patch
into the Debian moin package to add a cache to fix most of the
problems with this. It should backport easily to version 1.8.7 that
you're using. See http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/GetSubscribersSlow for
one of the upstream moin bug reports, and where I found the patch.

Cheers,
--
Steve McIntyre                                steve.mcintyre@linaro.org
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs

* Re: Wiki slowness
@ 2012-04-17 23:24   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-04-17 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre; +Cc: gcc

On 17 April 2012 17:51, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>Why does saving/editing a page on the GCC wiki take several minutes
>>to reload the page?
>>
>>Opening the page in a new tab shows the changes have been saved, but
>>the page still keeps loading. Is there some kind of re-indexing going
>>on which is incredibly inefficient?  Or does the moinmoinwiki code
>>simply not close the TCP connection or something silly like that?
>
> Looks like the gcc wiki is using the MoinMoin wiki engine, just like
> us at wiki.debian.org (where I'm a wiki admin). We've had exactly the
> same problem. See
>
>  http://bugs.debian.org/668000
>
> for more details of what I found - it's the time taken to scan the
> list of users looking for subscription data. I've just added a patch
> into the Debian moin package to add a cache to fix most of the
> problems with this. It should backport easily to version 1.8.7 that
> you're using. See http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/GetSubscribersSlow for
> one of the upstream moin bug reports, and where I found the patch.

Aha! Thanks for the info.