From: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
To: Jeff Law <jeffreyalaw@gmail.com>
Cc: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com>,
	 Andrew MacLeod <amacleod@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: replacing the backwards threader and more
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:58:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 9:54 AM Richard Biener
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 6:14 PM Jeff Law <jeffreyalaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > As promised.
> > >
> > > *** LEGACY:
> > > ethread42:61152 30.1369% (61152 threads for 30.1% of total)
> > > thread117:29646 14.6101%
> > > vrp118:62088 30.5982%
> > > thread132:2232 1.09997%
> > > dom133:31116 15.3346%
> > > thread197:1950 0.960998%
> > > dom198:10661 5.25395%
> > > thread200:587 0.289285%
> > > vrp201:3482 1.716%
> > > Total:  202914
> >
> > > The above is from current trunk with my patches applied, defaulting to
> > > legacy mode.  It follows the pass number nomenclature in the
> > > *.statistics files.
> > >
> > > New threader code (This is what I envision current trunk to look with
> > > my patchset):
> > >
> > > *** RANGER:
> > > ethread42:64389 30.2242%
> > > thread117:49449 23.2114%
> > > vrp118:46118 21.6478%
> > > thread132:8153 3.82702%
> > > dom133:27168 12.7527%
> > > thread197:5542 2.60141%
> > > dom198:8191 3.84485%
> > > thread200:1038 0.487237%
> > > vrp201:2990 1.40351%
> > > Total:  213038
> > So this makes me think we should focus on dropping thread197, thread200,
> > & vrp201 and I'd probably focus on vrp201 first since we know we want to
> > get rid of it anyway and that may change the data for thread???.  Then
> > I'd be looking at thread200 and thread197 in that order.  I suspect that
> > at least some of the cases in thread200 and vrp201 are exposed by dom198.
>
> It might be interesting to see replacing vrp201 with evrp and run
> thread200 after
> that or alternatively move dom198 after vrp201 and then replace vrp201 with
> evrp and kill off thread200 completely.  Supposedly we will for now keep the
> forward threading in DOM.  Since we have FRE right before DOM it's
> likely only threading that DOM performs now.  (but of course testcases
> will need adjustment)

So instead of

      NEXT_PASS (pass_fre, false /* may_iterate */);
      /* After late FRE we rewrite no longer addressed locals into SSA
         form if possible.  */
      NEXT_PASS (pass_thread_jumps);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_dominator, false /* may_peel_loop_headers_p */);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_strlen);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_thread_jumps);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_vrp, false /* warn_array_bounds_p */);
      /* Threading can leave many const/copy propagations in the IL.
         Clean them up.  Instead of just copy_prop, we use ccp to
         compute alignment and nonzero bits.  */
      NEXT_PASS (pass_ccp, true /* nonzero_p */);

do

      NEXT_PASS (pass_fre, false /* may_iterate */);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_early_vrp);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_thread_jumps);
      NEXT_PASS (pass_strlen); /// ???
      /* Threading can leave many const/copy propagations in the IL.
         Clean them up.  Instead of just copy_prop, we use ccp to
         compute alignment and nonzero bits.  */
      NEXT_PASS (pass_ccp, true /* nonzero_p */);

where I only wonder about pass_strlen placement and how much it depends on
earlier threading (I'd just run it after FRE?)