* Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-04 10:28 Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2021-01-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Folks!
This mail is about the development of Rust frontend of GCC.

To avoid misunderstanding, please let me introduce Rust-GCC briefly.
In 2013, Philip Herron had announced the project in GCC mailing-list:
https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00017.html
In 2019, @SimplyTheOther had contributed the almost complete parser and
AST.
And I helped to do some trival work to make it work with the latest GCC
at that time.
Of course there're more contributors that I can't mention one by one.
At that time, a small community of Rust-GCC had formed. We're interested
in continuing it till it can be merged into GCC.
https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
So this is the brief history.

Now we have a question, when should we assign copyright paper for GNU?
Last time I assigned the copyright paper, I noticed that the paper
mentioned the project name. But Rust-GCC hasn't been recogonized by GCC
community yet, so I'm not sure if it's the correct time to consider this
issue.

Comments are welcome.

Best regards.

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-04 16:04 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2021-01-04 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut, gcc

On 1/4/21 3:28 AM, Nala Ginrut via Gcc wrote:
> Hi Folks!
> This mail is about the development of Rust frontend of GCC.
>
> To avoid misunderstanding, please let me introduce Rust-GCC briefly.
> In 2013, Philip Herron had announced the project in GCC mailing-list:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00017.html
> In 2019, @SimplyTheOther had contributed the almost complete parser and
> AST.
> And I helped to do some trival work to make it work with the latest GCC
> at that time.
> Of course there're more contributors that I can't mention one by one.
> At that time, a small community of Rust-GCC had formed. We're interested
> in continuing it till it can be merged into GCC.
> https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
> So this is the brief history.
>
> Now we have a question, when should we assign copyright paper for GNU?
As soon as possible.

> Last time I assigned the copyright paper, I noticed that the paper
> mentioned the project name. But Rust-GCC hasn't been recogonized by GCC
> community yet, so I'm not sure if it's the correct time to consider this
> issue.
ISTM that the assignment should be for "gcc" since presumably the final
goal is to get the Rust front-end integrated into GCC, right?

jeff

* Re: Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-04 16:12 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-01-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: GCC Development

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM Nala Ginrut via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Folks!
> This mail is about the development of Rust frontend of GCC.
>
> To avoid misunderstanding, please let me introduce Rust-GCC briefly.
> In 2013, Philip Herron had announced the project in GCC mailing-list:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00017.html
> In 2019, @SimplyTheOther had contributed the almost complete parser and
> AST.
> And I helped to do some trivial work to make it work with the latest GCC
> at that time.
> Of course there are more contributors that I can't mention one by one.
> At that time, a small community of Rust-GCC had formed. We're interested
> in continuing it till it can be merged into GCC.
> https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
> So this is the brief history.
>
> Now we have a question, when should we assign copyright paper for GNU?
> Last time I assigned the copyright paper, I noticed that the paper
> mentioned the project name. But Rust-GCC hasn't been recognized by GCC
> community yet, so I'm not sure if it's the correct time to consider this
> issue.
>
> Comments are welcome.

As Jeff wrote, the assignment is for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
project, not for specific languages.  One does /not/ submit separate
assignments for GNU Fortran, GNU C++, GNU Go, GNU Ada, GNU Modula2,
etc.

Please have all of the developers start the FSF copyright assignment
process now.

Thanks, David

* Re: Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-05  6:01   ` Eric Gallager
From: Eric Gallager @ 2021-01-05  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Nala Ginrut, GCC Development

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM David Edelsohn via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM Nala Ginrut via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks!
> > This mail is about the development of Rust frontend of GCC.
> >
> > To avoid misunderstanding, please let me introduce Rust-GCC briefly.
> > In 2013, Philip Herron had announced the project in GCC mailing-list:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00017.html
> > In 2019, @SimplyTheOther had contributed the almost complete parser and
> > AST.
> > And I helped to do some trivial work to make it work with the latest GCC
> > at that time.
> > Of course there are more contributors that I can't mention one by one.
> > At that time, a small community of Rust-GCC had formed. We're interested
> > in continuing it till it can be merged into GCC.
> > https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
> > So this is the brief history.
> >
> > Now we have a question, when should we assign copyright paper for GNU?
> > Last time I assigned the copyright paper, I noticed that the paper
> > mentioned the project name. But Rust-GCC hasn't been recognized by GCC
> > community yet, so I'm not sure if it's the correct time to consider this
> > issue.
> >
> > Comments are welcome.
>
> As Jeff wrote, the assignment is for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
> project, not for specific languages.  One does /not/ submit separate
> assignments for GNU Fortran, GNU C++, GNU Go, GNU Ada, GNU Modula2,
> etc.

Speaking of Modula2, has that frontend made it into mainline GCC yet? I see
there was a bugzilla component for it added, but I don't remember seeing
anything about it in the changes.html file for any existing releases...

@ 2021-01-05 15:48     ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2021-01-05 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Gallager, David Edelsohn; +Cc: Nala Ginrut, GCC Development

On 1/4/21 11:01 PM, Eric Gallager via Gcc wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM David Edelsohn via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM Nala Ginrut via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks!
>>> This mail is about the development of Rust frontend of GCC.
>>>
>>> To avoid misunderstanding, please let me introduce Rust-GCC briefly.
>>> In 2013, Philip Herron had announced the project in GCC mailing-list:
>>> https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc/2013-12/msg00017.html
>>> In 2019, @SimplyTheOther had contributed the almost complete parser and
>>> AST.
>>> And I helped to do some trivial work to make it work with the latest GCC
>>> at that time.
>>> Of course there are more contributors that I can't mention one by one.
>>> At that time, a small community of Rust-GCC had formed. We're interested
>>> in continuing it till it can be merged into GCC.
>>> https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
>>> So this is the brief history.
>>>
>>> Now we have a question, when should we assign copyright paper for GNU?
>>> Last time I assigned the copyright paper, I noticed that the paper
>>> mentioned the project name. But Rust-GCC hasn't been recognized by GCC
>>> community yet, so I'm not sure if it's the correct time to consider this
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Comments are welcome.
>> As Jeff wrote, the assignment is for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
>> project, not for specific languages.  One does /not/ submit separate
>> assignments for GNU Fortran, GNU C++, GNU Go, GNU Ada, GNU Modula2,
>> etc.
>>

> Speaking of Modula2, has that frontend made it into mainline GCC yet? I see
> there was a bugzilla component for it added, but I don't remember seeing
> anything about it in the changes.html file for any existing releases...
No.  I haven't seen anyone even trying in a while.

jeff

* Re: Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-05 15:53       ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-01-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law, Eric Gallager; +Cc: Nala Ginrut, GCC Development

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:48 AM Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 1/4/21 11:01 PM, Eric Gallager via Gcc wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM David Edelsohn via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> > wrote:

> >> As Jeff wrote, the assignment is for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
> >> project, not for specific languages.  One does /not/ submit separate
> >> assignments for GNU Fortran, GNU C++, GNU Go, GNU Ada, GNU Modula2,
> >> etc.
> >>

> > Speaking of Modula2, has that frontend made it into mainline GCC yet? I see
> > there was a bugzilla component for it added, but I don't remember seeing
> > anything about it in the changes.html file for any existing releases...
> No.  I haven't seen anyone even trying in a while.

Maybe Jeff is not caught up with his email.

The GCC SC previously accepted Modula2 support. Richard Biener
approved the patch merge a few days ago and Gaius is planning to
proceed.

Thanks, David

* Re: Copyright assignment for Rust-GCC
@ 2021-01-05 16:24     ` Nala Ginrut
From: Nala Ginrut @ 2021-01-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Gallager; +Cc: David Edelsohn, GCC Development

Thanks for all the replies, I've contacted assign@gnu.org but no reply
for 2 days.
Should I get the form from GCC folks?

Best regards.

--

@ 2021-01-05 16:32       ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-01-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nala Ginrut; +Cc: Eric Gallager, GCC Development

First, please be more patient.  People only are now returning from the
end of year vacation.  And the FSF may not respond immediately in the
best of times.

Second, you must get the assignment document from the FSF.  They
create a custom, pre-generated assignment form.  It takes time for
them to transfer your information to the form and send it.  It isn't a
click-through CLA.

Thanks, David