* Tar version being used
@ 2020-07-27 10:58 CHIGOT, CLEMENT
From: CHIGOT, CLEMENT @ 2020-07-27 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?

I'm getting some directory checksum errors while trying to unpack it with the AIX tar (which can be a bit old). But they are disappearing when I'm building these tarballs on Ubuntu-18.04, even with the last tar version 1.32.

Note that gcc-10.1.0 doesn't have these problems, so maybe something have changed since.

Sincerely

Clément Chigot
ATOS Bull SAS
1 rue de Provence - 38432 Échirolles - France

* Re: Tar version being used
@ 2020-07-27 11:34 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-07-27 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHIGOT, CLEMENT; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 11:59, CHIGOT, CLEMENT via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?

GNU tar 1.30, I think.

> I'm getting some directory checksum errors while trying to unpack it with the AIX tar (which can be a bit old). But they are disappearing when I'm building these tarballs on Ubuntu-18.04, even with the last tar version 1.32.

https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html says:

"GNU tar version 1.14 (or later)
Necessary (only on some platforms) to untar the source code. Many
systems’ tar programs will also work, only try GNU tar if you have
problems."

> Note that gcc-10.1.0 doesn't have these problems, so maybe something have changed since.

I think it's the same version of GNU tar on the same system.

* Re: Tar version being used
@ 2020-07-27 11:42   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-07-27 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHIGOT, CLEMENT; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 12:34, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 11:59, CHIGOT, CLEMENT via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?
>
> GNU tar 1.30, I think.

I've been informed that the tarball isn't necessarily created on the
gcc.gnu.org server, and so it could be using a different version of
tar. The 1.30 version was indeed used for GCC 10.1.0 though/

The advice about using GNU tar still holds though ...

@ 2020-07-27 11:57 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2020-07-27 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHIGOT, CLEMENT; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM CHIGOT, CLEMENT via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?
>
> I'm getting some directory checksum errors while trying to unpack it with the AIX tar (which can be a bit old). But they are disappearing when I'm building these tarballs on Ubuntu-18.04, even with the last tar version 1.32.
>
> Note that gcc-10.1.0 doesn't have these problems, so maybe something have changed since.

I have used tar 1.30 as shipped by openSUSE Leap 15.1
(tar-1.30-lp151.2.1.x86_64)

Richard.

@ 2020-07-27 12:31   ` CHIGOT, CLEMENT
From: CHIGOT, CLEMENT @ 2020-07-27 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM CHIGOT, CLEMENT via Gcc
> <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?
> >
> > I'm getting some directory checksum errors while trying to unpack it with the AIX tar (which can be a bit old). But they are disappearing when I'm building these tarballs on Ubuntu-18.04, even with the last tar version 1.32.
> >
> > Note that gcc-10.1.0 doesn't have these problems, so maybe something have changed since.
>
> I have used tar 1.30 as shipped by openSUSE Leap 15.1
> (tar-1.30-lp151.2.1.x86_64)

Ok thanks. I don't know what have changed between the two versions. But AIX tar doesn't like it...
Using AIX tar instead of GNU tar was a mistake anyway, so that's not a big deal.

Thanks all for your answers !

Clément

* Re: Tar version being used
@ 2020-07-27 12:33   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2020-07-27 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener, CHIGOT, CLEMENT; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 7:58 AM Richard Biener via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM CHIGOT, CLEMENT via Gcc
> <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm wondering if someone knows which tar version / configuration was being used when creating gcc-10.2.0 tarballs ?
> >
> > I'm getting some directory checksum errors while trying to unpack it with the AIX tar (which can be a bit old). But they are disappearing when I'm building these tarballs on Ubuntu-18.04, even with the last tar version 1.32.
> >
> > Note that gcc-10.1.0 doesn't have these problems, so maybe something have changed since.
>
> I have used tar 1.30 as shipped by openSUSE Leap 15.1
> (tar-1.30-lp151.2.1.x86_64)

GNU tar is listed as a requirement to install GCC from source:

https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

Thanks, David