* Copyright assignment
@ 2021-03-30 13:48 George Liakopoulos
From: George Liakopoulos @ 2021-03-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear GCC Community ,

I am planning to contribute in Rust-GCC project (
https://github.com/Rust-GCC) , so I think it will be good to have the
copyright assignment from now on .

Waiting for your reply ,
George Liakopoulos

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2021-03-30 13:54 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-03-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Liakopoulos; +Cc: GCC Development

Replied off-list.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:49 AM George Liakopoulos via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Dear GCC Community ,
>
> I am planning to contribute in Rust-GCC project (
> https://github.com/Rust-GCC) , so I think it will be good to have the
> copyright assignment from now on .
>
> Waiting for your reply ,
> George Liakopoulos

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2019-05-16 12:52 ilia.diachkov
From: ilia.diachkov @ 2019-05-16 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: assign

Hello,

Our company "Optimizing Technologies" (optimitech.com) is planning to
contribute the GCC project with small and large changes in gcc code.
According to "Contributing to GCC" we are called to sign the copyright
assignment forms. Please send the form of an assignment for all future
changes.

Reading "Information for Maintainers of GNU Software" I have noticed
that "Contributors residing outside the USA, Germany or India must mail
the signed form to the FSF via postal mail". Our company resides in
Moscow, Russia. Please confirm that it's the actual requirement to print
the form, fill and send it to FSF by international postal service.

Best regards,
Ilia Diachkov.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2018-02-07 12:21   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2018-02-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim van Deurzen; +Cc: gcc

On 07/02/18 12:16 +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>On 05/02/18 22:01 +0100, Tim van Deurzen wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've written to this list previously to mention I'm working on
>>implementing p0515 (the spaceship operator) for C++. Although I'm still
>>far from finished I'd like to make sure that when I am, I will be able
>>to contribute my changes to GCC. Please tell me what I should do to take
>>care of the copyright assignment.
>>

>>Thank you!
>>
>>Tim.
>
>Sent offlist.

Although I'm getting SPF failures from mail.kompiler.org so I don't
know if the mail got through.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2018-02-07 12:18 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2018-02-07 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim van Deurzen; +Cc: gcc

On 05/02/18 22:01 +0100, Tim van Deurzen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've written to this list previously to mention I'm working on
>implementing p0515 (the spaceship operator) for C++. Although I'm still
>far from finished I'd like to make sure that when I am, I will be able
>to contribute my changes to GCC. Please tell me what I should do to take
>care of the copyright assignment.
>

>Thank you!
>
>Tim.

Sent offlist.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2018-02-05 21:01 Tim van Deurzen
From: Tim van Deurzen @ 2018-02-05 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2016-10-22 14:34 Dimitar Dimitrov
From: Dimitar Dimitrov @ 2016-10-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, gcc; +Cc: assign

Hello,

I would like to contribute GCC and Binutils ports for PRU [1].  I think "assigment for all future changes" is suitable  for me. Can I get the copyright assignment forms?

Regards,
Dimitar

[1] https://github.com/dinuxbg/gnupru

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2013-02-09  3:13 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2013-02-09  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Damian Rouson <sourcery@rouson.net> wrote:
> I'm interested in contributing to the gfortran compiler.  Please send
> me any forms or instructions I need to follow regarding copyright
> assignment.

I sent the forms directly.

- David

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2013-02-09  2:58 ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2013-02-09  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson; +Cc: gcc, assignments

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Damian Rouson <sourcery@rouson.net> wrote:
> I'm interested in contributing to the gfortran compiler.  Please send
> me any forms or instructions I need to follow regarding copyright
> assignment.
http://www.fsf.org/volunteer

They will send you some forms you need to fill out and return.

Jeff

* Copyright assignment
@ 2013-02-08  9:00 Damian Rouson
From: Damian Rouson @ 2013-02-08  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: assignments

I'm interested in contributing to the gfortran compiler.  Please send
me any forms or instructions I need to follow regarding copyright
assignment.

Damian Rouson
+1-510-600-2992 (mobile)

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2012-03-29  0:21 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-29  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Stone; +Cc: gcc

David Stone <david@doublewise.net> writes:

> I would like to get a form to assign all future contributions to the FSF.

Sent off-list.

Ian

* Copyright assignment
@ 2012-03-29  0:08 David Stone
From: David Stone @ 2012-03-29  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I would like to get a form to assign all future contributions to the FSF.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2009-11-24 20:11 Grigori Fursin
From: Grigori Fursin @ 2009-11-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paolo Bonzini', gcc
  Cc: Yuanjie Huang, Liang Peng, Joern Rennecke, David Edelsohn, Sebastian Pop

Hi Paolo,

Just saw your email.

Do you mind to send the forms to Yuanjie (huangyuanjie@ict.ac.cn)
and Liang (pengliang@ict.ac.cn) so that they could add their GSoC'09 developments
to the mainline with the help of Joern, please?!

I send an offline email to David and Sebastian but if you already know where
are the forms and how to use them, that would be great and can save us time!

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Grigori

>On 11/22/2009 10:48 AM, John Nowak wrote:
>
>>    Hello. I would like to get the necessary forms for copyright assignment
>>    to GCC for future work on GNAT. I was told this is the way to kick off
>>    the process.
>

>I sent them offlist.
>
>Paolo

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2009-11-23  8:26 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2009-11-23  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 11/22/2009 10:48 AM, John Nowak wrote:
> Hello. I would like to get the necessary forms for copyright assignment
> to GCC for future work on GNAT. I was told this is the way to kick off
> the process.

I sent them offlist.

Paolo

* copyright assignment
@ 2009-11-22  9:49 John Nowak
From: John Nowak @ 2009-11-22  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello. I would like to get the necessary forms for copyright
assignment to GCC for future work on GNAT. I was told this is the way
to kick off the process.

Thanks for the help.

- John Nowak

* copyright assignment
@ 2005-06-15 16:12 Rafael Espíndola
From: Rafael Espíndola @ 2005-06-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, assign

REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
No

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
I attend a public university (www.ic.unicamp.br) but they don't make
claims about student's work. My employer is willing to sign a
disclaimer.

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
Brazil

[What year were you born?]
1982

[Please write your email address here.]
rafael.espindola@gmail.com

[Please write your postal address here.]
Rua Abel José Bonomi 156 ap 15.
Vila Santa Isabel
Postal Code: 13084-654
City:Campinas
State: São Paulo

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]
changed: treelang/treetree.c

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2005-06-14 17:12   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2005-06-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James A. Morrison; +Cc: Rafael Espíndola, gcc

* James A. Morrison:

>  The form is here:
>
>  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

It's better to request the current version from the FSF, see:
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/>

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2005-06-14 15:50 ` James A. Morrison
From: James A. Morrison @ 2005-06-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Espíndola; +Cc: gcc

 The form is here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-06/msg02298.html

 If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jim

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~ja2morri/
http://phython.blogspot.com
http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?page=jim

* copyright assignment
@ 2005-06-14 15:47 Rafael Espíndola
From: Rafael Espíndola @ 2005-06-14 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am doing some work on a frontend for gcc. In the process I expect to
clean up treelang a little bit. Could you send me the relevant forms?
Thanks.

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

* Copyright assignment
@ 2005-01-25 20:15 François-Xavier Coudert
From: François-Xavier Coudert @ 2005-01-25 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: assignments

Hello,

I'm planning to contribute code (I began to write it already, in fact)
for the fortran part of gcc. As suggested by people on the
fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing-list and stated in
http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal, I send you this mail to obtain
the relevant forms of the copyright assignment.

Regards,
François-Xavier

--
François-Xavier Coudert <Francois-Xavier.Coudert@ens.fr>
Snail mail:

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2004-05-04 19:55     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-05-04 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: Ben Elliston, gcc

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:43:57AM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Ben Elliston wrote:
> > My understanding is that this just adds an unnecessary level of
> > indirection and traffic to the GCC list.  Can we update the web page
> > to provide more accurate information?
>
> The FSF has had too many problems with people filling out the wrong
> forms, of filing them out incorrectly, wasting the time of the FSF
> copyright clerk.  So FSF policy forbids us from putting the forms
> anyplace publicly accessible.  Instead the forms should be requested
> from the FSF copyright clerk.  We can help with a little prequalifying,
> helping decide who should ask for forms and which forms they should ask for.

I've been thinking that maybe we could build a little web form that would
quiz the contributor, to help us figure out what form that person needs.
We still wouldn't publish the forms themselves; after all, two physical
pieces of paper have to be signed by both the FSF and the contributor, so
it's fine to have the FSF sign first and send the paper.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2004-05-04  7:43   ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-05-04  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: gcc

@ 2004-05-04  7:37 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-05-04  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: gcc

Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm told I need to sign a copyright assignment for a gcc patch
> based on code I wrote.  The GCC project web page says to
> request "the relevent forms" from gcc@gcc.gnu.org.

Please see
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-06/msg02298.html
for info on how to get started.  Fill out the template and send it to
the assign@gnu.org.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2004-05-03 22:57 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-05-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> writes:

> I'm told I need to sign a copyright assignment for a gcc patch based
> on code I wrote.  The GCC project web page says to request "the
> relevent forms" from gcc@gcc.gnu.org.

My understanding is that this just adds an unnecessary level of
indirection and traffic to the GCC list.  Can we update the web page
to provide more accurate information?

Ben

* copyright assignment
@ 2004-05-03 14:15 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2004-05-03 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm told I need to sign a copyright assignment for a gcc patch
based on code I wrote.  The GCC project web page says to
request "the relevent forms" from gcc@gcc.gnu.org.

Please send me the relevent forms.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2003-08-11 23:11 Pauli
From: Pauli @ 2003-08-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: assignments, pauli

Hi,

I'd like to get a copy of the copyright assignment paperwork.

My relevant contact details are:

	Dr Paul Dale
	825 Stanley Street
	Woolloongabba
	Queensland 4102
	AUSTRALIA

	fax: +61 7 3891 3630

Thanks,

Pauli
---
Dr Paul Dale, Software Grunt, http://www.SnapGear.com
SnapGear - Custom Embedded Solutions and Security Appliances

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2002-11-19  0:05   ` Jens-Michael Hoffmann
From: Jens-Michael Hoffmann @ 2002-11-19  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: gcc, assignments

Phil Edwards writes:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:49:31AM +0100, Jens-Michael Hoffmann wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > can you tell me where to obtain the copyright assignment papers?
> >
> > Jens-Michael
>
> Just read over
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_7.html#SEC7
>
> and let us know which form to send to you:  request-assign.changes
> or request-assign.future.  Whoever you're working with on GCC code can
> probably advise you better.

I think request-assign.future is the appropriate one.

Jens-Michael

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2002-11-16 23:53 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-11-16 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens-Michael Hoffmann; +Cc: gcc, assignments

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:49:31AM +0100, Jens-Michael Hoffmann wrote:
> hi,
>
> can you tell me where to obtain the copyright assignment papers?
>
> Jens-Michael

Just read over

    http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_7.html#SEC7

and let us know which form to send to you:  request-assign.changes
or request-assign.future.  Whoever you're working with on GCC code can
probably advise you better.

Once you let us (or me) know, I or someone else can send you the request
form.  Fill that out, send it to the FSF, and they will send you the
resulting papers.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* copyright assignment
@ 2002-11-13 17:22 Jens-Michael Hoffmann
From: Jens-Michael Hoffmann @ 2002-11-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: assignments

@ 2002-09-17  7:51 ` FSF Copyright Assignment Clerk
From: FSF Copyright Assignment Clerk @ 2002-09-17  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland.Hartinger; +Cc: gcc, assignments

The form that Diego Novillo sent is applicable to individuals, and
does contain at least one question that bears thinking about - namely,
is your work based on anything outside of the GCC distribution?  Is there
any other organization or individual that might have a claim on this work?

Other than that, I assume it is not very applicable, since this is work
owned by Fujitsu-Siemens and not by any one individual.

Below is our standard corporate copyright assignment form.  This version
we use for companies to assign changes already made, to one particular GNU
program/package.  (GCC, GDB, and Binutils are considered to be separate packages.)
You might want to show this to the lawyers.

We also have a standard form that would assign future changes as well, which
would allow Fujitsu to be an ongoing contributor to GNU projects; if you want,
I can send that as well.  There are various ways to set that up so that your
lawyers are happy with it.

Anyways, below is the standard 'one time' copyright assignment.

- Brian Youmans, FSF copyright clerk

The way to assign copyright to the Foundation is to sign an assignment
contract.

Below is the assignment contract that we usually use.  You would need
to print it out, have an appropriate person sign it, and snail it to:

Copyright Clerk
Free Software Foundation
59 Temple Place Suite 330
Boston, MA 02111
USA
\f			    ASSIGNMENT

   For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which is
acknowledged, <such and such corp> (the "Assigner"), hereby transfers
to the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (the "Foundation") its entire
right, title, and interest (including all rights under copyright) in
its changes and enhancements to the computer program <name>, including
changes in accompanying documentation files and supporting files as
well as changes in actual program code, subject to the conditions
below.  These changes and enhancements are herein called the "Work".
The work hereby assigned shall also include any future revisions of
these changes and enhancements hereafter made by the Assigner.

   The Foundation grants the Assigner non-exclusive rights to use the
Work (i.e. the changes and enhancements, not the program which was
enhanced) as it sees fit; this grant does not limit the Foundation's
rights.

   For the purposes of this contract, a work "based on the Work" means any
work that in whole or in part incorporates or is derived from all or part of
the Work.

   The Foundation promises that all distribution of the Work, or of any
work "based on the Work", that takes place under the control of the
Foundation or its agents or assignees, shall be on terms that explicitly and
perpetually permit anyone possessing a copy of the work to which the terms
apply, and possessing accurate notice of these terms, to redistribute copies
of the work to anyone on the same terms.  These terms shall not restrict which
members of the public copies may be distributed to.  These terms shall not
require a member of the public to pay any royalty to the Foundation or to
anyone else for any permitted use of the work they apply to, or to communicate
with the Foundation or its agents in any way either when redistribution is
performed or on any other occasion.

   The Foundation promises that any program "based on the Work" offered to
the public by the Foundation or its agents or assignees shall be offered in
the form of machine-readable source code, in addition to any other forms of
the Foundation's choosing.  However, the Foundation is free to choose at its
convenience the media of distribution for machine-readable source code.

   The Foundation promises to give or send the Assigner, upon reasonable prior
notice and payment of a fee no more than twenty times the cost of the
necessary materials and postage, a copy of any or all of the works "based on
the Work" that the Foundation offers to the public or that it has offered
within the past six months, or that it distributed for the first time within
the past six months.  For works that are programs, the machine-readable source
code shall be included.  Such a request shall detail whether the Assigner wish
to receive all such works or specific works.  The choice of works to request
may affect the cost and therefore the fee.

   The Assigner hereby agrees that if it has or acquires hereafter any
patent or interface copyright or other intellectual property interest
dominating the program enhanced by the Work (or use of that program), such
dominating interest will not be used to undermine the effect of this
assignment, i.e. the Foundation and the general public will be licensed to
use, in that program and its derivative works, without royalty or
limitation, the subject matter of the dominating interest.  This license
provision will be binding on the assignees of, or other successors to, the
dominating interest, as well as on the Assigner.

   The Assigner hereby represents and warrants that it is the sole copyright
holder for the Work and that it has the right and power to enter into this
contract.  The Assigner hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Foundation, its
officers, employees, and agents against any and all claims, actions or damages
(including attorney's reasonable fees) asserted by or paid to any party on
account of a breach or alleged breach of the foregoing warranty.  The Assigner
makes no other express or implied warranty (including without limitation, in
this disclaimer of warranty, any warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE).

For the Assigner,
<name and title>
<signature and date>

For the Free Software Foundation,
Richard Stallman, President:

[Please write your snail address here, so I can snail a copy back to you.]

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2002-09-17  7:29 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2002-09-17  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartinger, Roland
  Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org', 'assignments@gnu.org'

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Hartinger, Roland wrote:

> As written in your chapter "Contributing to GCC" we are called
> to sign the copyright assignment forms. So, please send me that
> forms that I'm able to let check this by our legal department.

This is the online form that used to be up on the web.

Diego.

--- CUT HERE ----------------------------------------------------------------

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.

@ 2002-09-17  0:17 Hartinger, Roland
From: Hartinger, Roland @ 2002-09-17  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'; +Cc: 'assignments@gnu.org'

Hi,

we are planning to contribute the GCC project with code and bug fixes found while using gcc on our platforms.

As written in your chapter "Contributing to GCC" we are called to sign the copyright assignment forms.
So, please send me that forms that I'm able to let check this by our legal department.

Best Regards,

Roland Hartinger
Product Development Manager
Application Development - C/C++ Compiler
Fujitsu Siemens Computers
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Munich
Germany

Telephone:	+49 89 636 44081
Telefax:	+49 89 636 48716
Mobile:	+49 173 5227033
Email:	mailto: roland.hartinger@fujitsu-siemens.com
Internet:	<http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com>

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2002-09-12  8:16 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-09-12  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansgar Esztermann; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Ansgar Esztermann wrote:
> I have submitted a small patch and would like to continue to
> contribute in the future. I gather I have to sign a copyright
> assignment in order to do so. Could someone please tell me where
> to get such a form?

Please find what I believe to be the appropriate form below.

Gerald

PS: I'm still disappointed that RMS required us to remove these
forms from our web site.

====================== CUT ================

@ 2002-08-30  3:05 Ansgar Esztermann
From: Ansgar Esztermann @ 2002-08-30  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I have submitted a small patch and would like to continue to
contribute in the future. I gather I have to sign a copyright
assignment in order to do so. Could someone please tell me where
to get such a form?

Thank you!

Ansgar

--
Institut fuer theoretische Physik II    | Geb. 25.32.02
Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf | +49-211-8112059 (phone)

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2002-06-15 10:38 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-06-15 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Rakush; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Valentin Rakush wrote:
> I am willing to start with gcc contribution but I am not sure what is the
> first thing I have to do. The idea is to start with a simple projects but
> need I sign the Copyright Assignment before updating the code?

That'd be best, yes.

For information on how to contribute, please check our homepage at
http://gcc.gnu.org, specifically everything under "Development" on
the main page.

> If so, how could I get and submit the papers?

Please use the form below.

Gerald

================================ cut ===============================

@ 2002-06-11  5:08 Valentin Rakush
From: Valentin Rakush @ 2002-06-11  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I am willing to start with gcc contribution but I am not sure what is the
first thing I have to do. The idea is to start with a simple projects but
need I sign the Copyright Assignment before updating the code? If so, how
could I get and submit the papers?

Thank you in advance,
Val Rakush.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2000-11-05 15:35 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-11-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurynas Biveinis; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Laurynas Biveinis wrote:
> I was going to fill and send out one, but suddenly forms
> disappeared from gcc.gnu.org. New instructions tell that
> I should ask here for required forms. So can anybody point
> me to them? I don't need employeer disclaimer, BTW.

I have sent you, by private e-mail, what you should need. If you have
any questions, please let me know (privately).

Gerald

PS: I'm Cc:ing this to the list so that you don't get dozens of private
replies... ;-)

* Copyright assignment
@ 2000-11-05  3:55 Laurynas Biveinis
From: Laurynas Biveinis @ 2000-11-05  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I was going to fill and send out one, but suddenly forms
disappeared from gcc.gnu.org. New instructions tell that
I should ask here for required forms. So can anybody point
me to them? I don't need employeer disclaimer, BTW.

Laurynas

* Copyright assignment
@ 2000-01-15  8:11 Timothy Bedding
From: Timothy Bedding @ 2000-01-15  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

David Young wrote:
> If you include any knowledge or patentable information derived while on your
> employer's job in your code then your employer may have rights to your code
> even if you typed the code at home on your own hardware.

Patentable information sounds very broad. It might cover almost anything
judging by the Amazon court case.

> If you sign that form and your employer claims damages then YOU will have to
> pay the cost of defending the FSF. Do you want that?

Good point. I would not want to pay for that.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2000-01-15  4:33 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-01-15  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy.Bedding; +Cc: gcc

> Does this mean I do not need an assignment form?

There are two things that are typically requested. One is an
assignment of your copyright to the FSF. The FSF thinks that the GPL
is much better enforcable if there is a single copyright holder
compared to having the copyright on dozens of people.

The other one is a disclaimer of your employer that they won't claim
copyright of your work. IANAL, so I don't know whether your employer
could successfully claim the copyright on your work. If that is not
possible, you don't need to have them disclaim anything.

> Is there an appropriate assignment form which only I need to sign?

The copyright assignment form (for a single change) is available at
http://gcc.gnu.org/fsf-forms/assign.changes

You can also assign all your future gcc changes to the FSF if you
want; the form is at http://gcc.gnu.org/fsf-forms/assign.future . I
guess this is what most people do who plan to contribute to gcc on a
regular basis.

Regards,
Martin

* Copyright assignment
@ 2000-01-15  3:40 Timothy Bedding
From: Timothy Bedding @ 2000-01-15  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have been working on an improved texi file for GCC.

Jeff has suggested I need a copyright assignment form
from my employer.

However, the copyright for code that I write using my
hardware and on my own time is mine under UK law. My employer is
not relevant therefore.

I would not want to put my name to anything that suggests
any computer company has any rights on my code.

Does this mean I do not need an assignment form?
Is there an appropriate assignment form which only I need
to sign?

Regards
Tim