* 6.55 Built-in Functions for Memory Model Aware Atomic Operations
@ 2021-07-21 13:00 Amar Memic
From: Amar Memic @ 2021-07-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,6.55 Built-in Functions for Memory Model Aware Atomic Operations (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/_005f_005fatomic-Builtins.html)  says:Note that the ‘__atomic’ builtins assume that programs will conform to the C++11 memory model. In particular, they assume that programs are free of data races. See the C++11 standard for detailed requirements.

I think the second sentence is a bit misleading because atomics should handle data races.
Especially, interleaving read/write or write/write operations should be well-defined.
If you assume that programs are free of data races, then you could not implement spinlock based on these atomics, for example.
I hope you can help me to interpret the paragraph in the right manner.

Thanks in advance
Amar Memic

* Re: 6.55 Built-in Functions for Memory Model Aware Atomic Operations
@ 2021-07-21 13:08 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-07-21 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amar Memic; +Cc: gcc

N.B. I already answered this when you sent it to the libstdc++ list,
read past the first line of my reply:
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/libstdc++/2021-July/052932.html