* contrib/gcc_update does not work
@ 2020-01-14 10:38 Uros Bizjak
From: Uros Bizjak @ 2020-01-14 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

gcc_update, when called from newly initialized and pulled tree does not work:

--cut here--
$ contrib/gcc_update
Updating GIT tree
There is no tracking information for the current branch.
Please specify which branch you want to rebase against.
See git-pull(1) for details.

    git pull <remote> <branch>

If you wish to set tracking information for this branch you can do so with:

    git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/<branch> master

Adjusting file timestamps
git pull of full tree failed.
--cut here--

I would also appreciate a simple step-by step instructions on how to
set-up the local repo and basic workflow with git for "non-power"
users, as was the case with now obsolete instructions for anonymous
SVN r/o access [1] and r/w access [2]. Basically, push-my-first-patch
example.

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html
[2] https://gcc.gnu.org/svnwrite.html

Thanks,
Uros.

* Re: contrib/gcc_update does not work
@ 2020-01-14 11:11 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-01-14 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uros Bizjak; +Cc: GCC Development

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 09:22, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak@gmail.com> wrote:

> gcc_update, when called from newly initialized and pulled tree does not work:

Initialized how?
If you do a 'git clone' then it correctly checks out master and sets
it to track origin/master.

> --cut here--
> $ contrib/gcc_update
> Updating GIT tree
> There is no tracking information for the current branch.
> Please specify which branch you want to rebase against.
> See git-pull(1) for details.
>
>     git pull <remote> <branch>
>
> If you wish to set tracking information for this branch you can do so with:
>
>     git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/<branch> master
>
> Adjusting file timestamps
> git pull of full tree failed.
> --cut here--
>
> I would also appreciate a simple step-by step instructions on how to
> set-up the local repo and basic workflow with git for "non-power"
> users, as was the case with now obsolete instructions for anonymous
> SVN r/o access [1] and r/w access [2]. Basically, push-my-first-patch
> example.
>
> [1] https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html
> [2] https://gcc.gnu.org/svnwrite.html

They're still a work in progress:
https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html
https://gcc.gnu.org/gitwrite.html

* Re: contrib/gcc_update does not work
@ 2020-01-14 11:32   ` Uros Bizjak
From: Uros Bizjak @ 2020-01-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: GCC Development

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 09:22, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > gcc_update, when called from newly initialized and pulled tree does not work:
>
> Initialized how?

 1035  mkdir gcc
 1036  cd gcc
 1037  git init
 1038  git pull https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

> If you do a 'git clone' then it correctly checks out master and sets
> it to track origin/master.

I see, I'll try this now.

> > --cut here--
> > $ contrib/gcc_update
> > Updating GIT tree
> > There is no tracking information for the current branch.
> > Please specify which branch you want to rebase against.
> > See git-pull(1) for details.
> >
> >     git pull <remote> <branch>
> >
> > If you wish to set tracking information for this branch you can do so with:
> >
> >     git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/<branch> master
> >
> > Adjusting file timestamps
> > git pull of full tree failed.
> > --cut here--
> >
> > I would also appreciate a simple step-by step instructions on how to
> > set-up the local repo and basic workflow with git for "non-power"
> > users, as was the case with now obsolete instructions for anonymous
> > SVN r/o access [1] and r/w access [2]. Basically, push-my-first-patch
> > example.
> >
> > [1] https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html
> > [2] https://gcc.gnu.org/svnwrite.html
>
> They're still a work in progress:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html
> https://gcc.gnu.org/gitwrite.html

Yes, this is the information i was looking for. Sorry for being impatient ;)

@ 2020-01-14 11:34     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-01-14 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uros Bizjak; +Cc: GCC Development

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 10:38, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 09:22, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > gcc_update, when called from newly initialized and pulled tree does not work:
> >
> > Initialized how?
>
>  1035  mkdir gcc
>  1036  cd gcc
>  1037  git init
>  1038  git pull https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

Don't do that :-)

You've created an new, empty repository and then filled it with the
content from gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc but that's not the same as making a
clone of that repo. You could make it the same, but you'd have to do a
lot more steps manually. Just use 'git clone'.

@ 2020-01-14 12:58       ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2020-01-14 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Uros Bizjak, GCC Development

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:44 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 10:38, Uros Bizjak <ubizjak@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Initialized how?
> >
> >  1035  mkdir gcc
> >  1036  cd gcc
> >  1037  git init
> >  1038  git pull https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
>
> Don't do that :-)

I think it's what the wiki still suggests...

@ 2020-01-14 12:59         ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2020-01-14 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, Uros Bizjak, GCC Development

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:10 AM Richard Biener
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:44 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >  1035  mkdir gcc
> > >  1036  cd gcc
> > >  1037  git init
> > >  1038  git pull https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
> >
> > Don't do that :-)
>
> I think it's what the wiki still suggests...

Yes the wiki does suggest that but the wiki was about using git mirror.
"With a normal git repository 'git clone' grabs all branches, but
because of the SVN mirror we need to do something more elaborate" :).
This is no longer true and even wrong as the branches are in a
different location really.

Thanks,
Andrew

@ 2020-01-14 13:07           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-01-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski
  Cc: Richard Biener, Jonathan Wakely, Uros Bizjak, GCC Development

On Jan 14 2020, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:10 AM Richard Biener
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Don't do that :-)
>>
>> I think it's what the wiki still suggests...
>
> Yes the wiki does suggest that but the wiki was about using git mirror.

Even with the old mirror a normal clone was working as usual.  Only if
you wanted to commit using git svn you needed to do the unusual setup.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: contrib/gcc_update does not work
@ 2020-01-14 14:28             ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-01-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab
  Cc: Andrew Pinski, Richard Biener, Uros Bizjak, GCC Development

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 12:46, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> On Jan 14 2020, Andrew Pinski wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:10 AM Richard Biener
> > <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think it's what the wiki still suggests...
> >
> > Yes the wiki does suggest that but the wiki was about using git mirror.
>
> Even with the old mirror a normal clone was working as usual.  Only if
> you wanted to commit using git svn you needed to do the unusual setup.

I've added a big bold notice to the top of the wiki page:
The information on this page refers to the git-svn mirror WHICH HAS
BEEN RETIRED. While some tips here may still be useful (like the
convenient git aliases) do not follow these steps to use the new Git
repository (which is not a mirror, so obviously this page isn't
talking about it!)