On Tue, 28 May 2024, 02:51 Paul Eggert, wrote: > On 2024-05-27 12:18, Jakub Jelinek wrote: > > Maybe respect the carefully chosen compiler default (unless explicitly > > overridden in configure.ac)? > > Autoconf gave up on that idea long ago, as we had bad experiences with > compiler defaults being chosen for the convenience of distro maintainers > rather than for application developers and builders. Compilers were > still defaulting to K&R long after that made little sense. What has that got to do with C++ dialects? GCC defaults to C++17 in versions that have good, stable C++17 support. So does Clang these days. So what problem are you trying to solve for C++ here? It was a bit > like what we're still experiencing with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS defaulting to > 32 on x86 GNU/Linux. > > Using the compiler default puts you at the mercy of the distro. It's not > always wrong to do that - which is why developers and builders should > have an option - but it's not always right either. > I am not aware of any distro ever changing the default -std setting for g++ or clang++. Are you attempting to solve a non-problem, but introducing new ones?