* Labelling of regressions in Bugzilla
@ 2021-12-15 11:39 Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-12-15 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On IRC we've been discussing some changes to Bugzilla that would give
a bit more structure to how we label and process regressions.

Currently we add something like "[9/10/11/12 Regression]" to the start
of the summary, and then edit that when it's fixed on a branch, when
forking a new release branch from trunk, and when the oldest branch is
closed and becomes unmaintained. Finding active regressions means a
free-text search in the summary field.

On IRC we discussed adding a new custom field to record which branches
a regression affects. This could be like the
known-towork/known-to-fail fields, so only allow predefined values,
and allow searching by "all of" and by "any of". The possible values
for the field would only be the major releases, not all the minor
releases and snapshots and vendor branches that are in the
known-to-work field. So just 4.9, 5, 6, 7 etc. not 4.9.4, 5.0, 5.1.0,
5.1.1 etc.

When a new branch is forked from trunk before a release all bugs that
have "trunk" in the regression field would automatically get "12"
added (or if we already used "12" instead of "trunk" they'd get "13"
added, either way would work).

Unlike the current system, we wouldn't need to remove closed branches
from the regressions field. We do that today so the Summary field
doesn't get cluttered with old branch info, but if it's in a separate
field keeping the old data present is valuable. We would only remove a
branch from that field when the regression is fixed on the branch. We
would still be able to search for regressions in active branches
easily, but it would also be possible to see at a glance that a given
regression was present on the gcc-8 branch and never fixed there. This
would also help vendors who maintain older branches, as the
information that a regression affected an old branch would not be
wiped out of the summary when the branch reaches EOL.

Jakub also suggested it would be nice to be able to enter a revision
into a "regressed at" field and have it auto-populate the regressions
list with all branches that the commit is present in. (Ideally any of
SVN rNNNN numbers, or git revisions, or gcc-descr rNN-NNN strings
could be used there). That would be useful when we bisect the
regression and find where it started.

Iain pointed out a drawback of not having the regression info in the
Summary. Currently it does draw your attention when looking at the
results of a bugzilla search. Andrew noted that bug aliases are
automatically added to the summary, e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/PR94404
shows its alias "(c++core-issues)". Maybe we could do that for
regressions (for the active branches only, so the result would be
similar to what we have today).

Thoughts? Objections? Better ideas?