* Google Summer of Code
@ 2019-04-05  3:50 Supriya Palli
From: Supriya Palli @ 2019-04-05  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

My name is Supriya Palli and I am a first-year Computer Science B.S.
student at Florida State University. I currently finishing up a C++ course
in Object Oriented Programming and am looking for ways to continue my
learning in C++ and other technologies over the summer. I noticed that some
of the projects you have listed for Google Summer of Code include C++ as a
skill, but I am not sure I would meet the other skill requirements. Are
there any specific projects you would recommend for beginners? Or any
projects I could contribute to outside of the Google Summer of Code program?

*Thank You,*
*Supriya Palli*

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2019-04-05  9:24 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2019-04-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supriya Palli, gcc

Hi Supriya.

On Thu, Apr 04 2019, Supriya Palli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Supriya Palli and I am a first-year Computer Science B.S.
> student at Florida State University. I currently finishing up a C++ course
> in Object Oriented Programming and am looking for ways to continue my
> learning in C++ and other technologies over the summer. I noticed that some
> of the projects you have listed for Google Summer of Code include C++ as a
> skill, but I am not sure I would meet the other skill requirements. Are
> there any specific projects you would recommend for beginners? Or any
> projects I could contribute to outside of the Google Summer of Code program?

we are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  On the
other hand, I am afraid you not only need fairly solid knowledge of
C/C++ to do that but also at least some rudimentary theoretical
background in the area of compilers.

Couple of days back another student asked for a textbook and I
recommended "Building an Optimizing Compiler" by Bob Morgan.  If you
read and understand it - or some other solid textbook on compilers - you
will be very well equipped for a GSoC with us... but not this year I am
afraid.

Good luck,

Martin Jambor

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2019-04-05 10:15 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2019-04-05 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supriya Palli; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 04:50, Supriya Palli wrote:
> My name is Supriya Palli and I am a first-year Computer Science B.S.
> student at Florida State University. I currently finishing up a C++ course
> in Object Oriented Programming and am looking for ways to continue my
> learning in C++ and other technologies over the summer. I noticed that some
> of the projects you have listed for Google Summer of Code include C++ as a
> skill, but I am not sure I would meet the other skill requirements. Are
> there any specific projects you would recommend for beginners? Or any
> projects I could contribute to outside of the Google Summer of Code program?

Hi,

The https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibstdcxxTodo page shows lots of missing
features/fixes in the C++ standard library, libstdc++. Some of those
are small, some are much larger. If you want to contribute to GCC I'm
sure you could find something there to work on. The libstdc++ library
has its own mailing list at libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org

* Re: Google Summer Of Code
@ 2019-01-28 18:01 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2019-01-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikramsingh Kushwaha; +Cc: gcc

Hello Vikramsingh,

On Mon, Jan 21 2019, Vikramsingh Kushwaha wrote:
> Respected sir/madam
> I, Vikramsingh Kushwaha, currently studying in B.Tech 3rd year computer
> engineering in MIT Pune, India. I am very much interested to contribute in
> the open source projects. But i am new to this so I needed some guidance.
> Even i wanted to participate in Google Dummer Of Code, so i wanted your
> organisation to be my mentor.
> Kindly, be my mentor, i am ready for any challenge or task, test whatever
> you want to take. I shall be sharing my github and codechef profile. I am
> an average coder but a dedicated hard worker.

We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  On the
other hand, I am worried that you also need at least some rudimentary
theoretical background in the area of compilers in order to apply.

Nevertheless, you can definitely try yourself and see how difficult it
will be.  Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the
idea page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and
make sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.

Afterwards, if you still find contributing to GCC interesting, look at
a suggested idea, try to identify the portion of GCC source which is
involved and email us back to the mailing list, describing which idea
you liked best and what your thoughts about it are.

Good luck,

Martin

* Re: Google Summer Of Code
@ 2019-01-21 18:14 ` Vikramsingh Kushwaha
From: Vikramsingh Kushwaha @ 2019-01-21 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Github Profile: https://github.com/vikramsinghkushwaha
Codechef Profile: https://www.codechef.com/users/vskushwaha_15

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 11:37 PM Vikramsingh Kushwaha <
vskushwaha@mitaoe.ac.in> wrote:

> Respected sir/madam
> I, Vikramsingh Kushwaha, currently studying in B.Tech 3rd year computer
> engineering in MIT Pune, India. I am very much interested to contribute in
> the open source projects. But i am new to this so I needed some guidance.
> Even i wanted to participate in Google Dummer Of Code, so i wanted your
> organisation to be my mentor.
> Kindly, be my mentor, i am ready for any challenge or task, test whatever
> you want to take. I shall be sharing my github and codechef profile. I am
> an average coder but a dedicated hard worker.
> Kindly guide me and be my mentor for Google Summer Of Code.
> Regards,
> Vikramsingh Kushwaha
> MIT Academy Of Engineering
> Pune

* Google Summer Of Code
@ 2019-01-21 18:08 Vikramsingh Kushwaha
From: Vikramsingh Kushwaha @ 2019-01-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2014-03-19  3:43 ` Maxim Kuvyrkov
From: Maxim Kuvyrkov @ 2014-03-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mihai Mandrescu; +Cc: gcc

On Mar 17, 2014, at 2:39 AM, Mihai Mandrescu <mihai.mandrescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just enrolled in Google Summer of Code and would like to contribute
> to GCC. I'm not very familiar with the process of getting a project
> for GSoC nor with free software development in general, but I would
> like to learn. Can someone give me some hints please?

Hi Mihai,

There is very little time left for student application -- only 2 days.

In general, by now you should have a specific idea that you want to work on, it doesn't have to be your own, there are many ideas for potential GSoC projects at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode .

You need to be realistic about your experience in compiler development and GCC development.  It is better to apply for an easier/smaller project and successfully finish it, than to work on a complicated project and not get it done.

Finally, please don't cross-post to several lists, gcc@gcc.gnu.org is the correct list for development discussions (with gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org being the list for discussion of specific patches).

Thank you,

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
www.linaro.org

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2014-03-16 13:39 Mihai Mandrescu
From: Mihai Mandrescu @ 2014-03-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: assign, gcc-help, gcc

Hello,

I just enrolled in Google Summer of Code and would like to contribute
to GCC. I'm not very familiar with the process of getting a project
for GSoC nor with free software development in general, but I would
like to learn. Can someone give me some hints please?

Thank you very much.

* Re: Google Summer of Code
@ 2005-06-01  6:34 ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2005-06-01  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Jeyasankar Kottalam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Are the FSF and GCC interested in mentoring students under Google's Summer of
> Code?
>
> * What projects would the GCC maintainers like to see done for Google's Summer
> of Code? Anything at http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/ ? Or do you have specific
> project suggestions?

I was a bit confused by this question since I hadn't read
Slashdot yet.

For the benefit of others, the reference is to:

  http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew      Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.    Web: http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/

* Google Summer of Code
@ 2005-06-01  5:35 Jeyasankar Kottalam
From: Jeyasankar Kottalam @ 2005-06-01  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

* Are the FSF and GCC interested in mentoring students under Google's Summer of
Code?

* What projects would the GCC maintainers like to see done for Google's Summer
of Code? Anything at http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/ ? Or do you have specific
project suggestions?

Thanks,
-Jey Kottalam