On Sat, 26 Nov 2022, 15:48 Gavin Ray, wrote: > I was using if (fd != -1) and was still getting the warning which confused > me > My suggestion was maybe to add the exact condition the fd analyzer is > looking for to the warning so that folks know how to fix it/trigger > its 'true' branch. > > e.g. instead of: > "fd may not be valid" > > Something like this, or thereabouts: > "fd may not be valid (expecting fd >= 0)" > That seems like an analyzer bug, checking for -1 should be ok. POSIX is clear that open and socket return -1 on error. I didn't check all the other functions that return new file descriptors, but I think they're the same.