From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
To: waffl3x <waffl3x@protonmail.com>
Cc: "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Targetting p0847 for GCC14 (explicit object parameter)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 08:52:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023, 05:07 waffl3x via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I would like to boldly suggest implementing P0847 should be targeted at
> GCC14. In my anecdotal experiences, this feature is very important to
> people, and very important to myself, I believe it should be a priority.
>
> I am not suggesting this without offering to contribute, however
> because of my inexperience with compiler hacking I am concerned I would
> hinder efforts. With that said, if no one is interested in starting
> work on it, but there is consensus that the feature is important
> enough, then I will do my best to take up that job.
>
> If this was already the understood plan for GCC14, I apologize for my
> ignorance on the matter. I searched around and couldn't find any
> information regarding it, the mail list didn't seem to have any results
> either. If it's there and I missed it, please do point it out. I am
> also wondering if there is a public document with information about the
> feature roadmap?

No, we don't do that. It doesn't really make sense for a project like gcc.
There is no management setting goals and priorities, nor assigning work to
anybody.

For large-ish features like this there should be a bugzilla ticket. If
somebody is planning to work on it, that ticket will be ASSIGNED to them.
Any plans that exist will probably be noted there.

I can understand why there isn't one if that isn't the