On Sun, 3 Dec 2023, 18:19 Dave Blanchard, wrote: > Hello all, while bootstrapping GNAT onto my cross compiled system with GCC > 10.x I found that the make script leaves something to be desired. > > First off it doesn't add the host prefix to the cross compiler binaries; > it calls gnatmake, gnatlink, gnatbind, gnatls, and gcc without the > x86_64-linux-gnu- prefix, requiring an ugly hack to symlink to those tools > to complete the build. Also at the end of the build there is an error when > it tries to install gnatdll, which isn't built, doesn't exist, and is for > Windows only. > > Does anyone know if these problems are fixed in later GCC versions? And do > these people even test their obviously broken crap before releasing it on > the world? > You know it's possible to ask for help without acting this way? However, please use the gcc-help list to do so, not this one. > I also note that the AdaCore team seem to be doing everything in their > power to railroad people into giving them money for their proprietary > compiler. First they disabled C and C++ languages in their 2018-up > Community Edition binaries, which makes bootstrapping a full GCC impossible > with these tools. I guess that didn't do the trick as people just used > older CE releases to bootstrap with instead, so they discontinued CE > entirely and removed links to the CE download page from their site, making > it hard to find unless one knows what to search for. > > I've also been told that there is some kind of special licensing clause > for the GNAT project which requires all code built by their GPL compiler to > be GPL3 licensed, which is a laugh as I'm never doing that. Not sure if > that's actually true or not. > > Anyhow, it's surprising (or should be surprising) to see such shoddy > workmanship from an anti-freedom commercial organization joined to the hip > with GCC. > > Dave > >