* [RFC] New git-only branch for Fission project
@ 2011-10-20  4:22 Cary Coutant
From: Cary Coutant @ 2011-10-20  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Sterling Augustine

I'd like to create a new "fission" branch on the GIT mirror at
ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git. This branch will host the changes that
Sterling and I will be making to support splitting the debug info into
separate files -- and, as a byproduct, fixing the pubnames and
pubtypes tables so they can be used to create a gdb index. A while
ago, I posted a summary of the Fission project on the GCC wiki:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebugFission

I expect we'll be ready to merge our work into trunk when Stage 1
opens for GCC 4.8.

Any objections? Is it OK to make a git-only branch?

-cary

* Re: [RFC] New git-only branch for Fission project
@ 2011-10-21 15:16 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2011-10-21 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cary Coutant; +Cc: gcc, Sterling Augustine, Gerald Pfeifer

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 21:30, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebugFission
>
> I expect we'll be ready to merge our work into trunk when Stage 1
> opens for GCC 4.8.
>
> Any objections? Is it OK to make a git-only branch?

Anyone with SVN write access can create a new branch.  The same
applies for git branches.  The usual rules of maintenance apply to
them.

I don't know whether git-only branches get added to
http://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html.  Gerald?

Diego.

* Re: [RFC] New git-only branch for Fission project
@ 2011-10-22 18:27   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2011-10-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: Cary Coutant, gcc, Sterling Augustine

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Diego Novillo wrote:
> I don't know whether git-only branches get added to
> http://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html.  Gerald?

So far we haven't done that, but why not?  Either add a new section
for GIT branches or create git.html (which may be overkill for now,
but more future proof).  Whatever you prefer. :-)

Gerald