From: Yuri Kanivetsky <yuri.kanivetsky@gmail.com>
To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>,
	"gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Is --as-needed the default these days?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:28:38 +0200	[thread overview]

> Upstream GCC does (still) not default to adding `--as-needed` to the
> command line (except around libgcc). Some distros add patches which
> add `--as-needed` by default though. It looks like alpine is one of
> those distros. Maybe you should ask them instead of asking us. It
> looks like they made the change between their 3.4 and 3.5 release.

I believe I've found the change:

https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/commit/?id=5b7befa1b989315a57f4fb49b8381ce06ded96c9

As we saw above on 3.4 (gcc-5.3.0) it adds libintl, on 3.5 (gcc-6.2.1)
it doesn't.

This commit changes pkgver from 5.3.0 to 6.1.0 and seems to make gcc
add --as-needed, can you confirm?