From: Soumya Ranjan <sranjan1@uci.edu>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Interest in Contributing to OpenACC Support & Code Offloading Projects for GSOC
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:45:43 -0700	[thread overview]

Hello,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Soumya Ranjan, and I hold a
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and a Master's in Computer
Engineering. I am currently working as a Firmware Engineer at Qualcomm
Wireless R&D. I recently discovered your organization and the exciting GSOC
projects you are proposing, namely "Offloading to a separate process on the
same host" and "Enhance OpenACC support." I am writing to express my
enthusiastic interest in potentially contributing to either of these
projects and to inquire about the next steps to formally apply or draft a
proposal.

My academic journey was enriched with substantial coursework in operating
systems and parallel computing, sparking a deep interest in efficient
computational strategies and optimizations. My professional experience has
further developed my skills in C/C++, offloading compilation, and
inter-process communication. Given this foundation, I am confident in my
capacity to make a meaningful contribution to either the project focused on
enhancing debugging capabilities for offloaded code or the one aimed at
filling the existing gaps in OpenACC support, depending on where my skills
can be best utilized.

I realize I am reaching out at a time when proposals are likely already
underway. I apologize for this timing and am committed to diligently
catching up. I've started to familiarize myself with the "Before You Apply"
guidelines on your website to ensure I understand the necessary preparatory
steps.

Could you kindly advise if there are any additional specific steps I should
follow or particular aspects of either project you would recommend focusing
on in my proposal? The prospect of contributing to advancements in either
domain is highly motivating to me, and I am keen to align my efforts with
the project's most pressing needs.

I am eager to learn more about how I can integrate into your team and
contribute effectively. I believe this opportunity aligns perfectly with my
professional aspirations and skills, and I am excited about the potential
collaboration.

Thank you very much for considering my application. I look forward to the
opportunity to further discuss how I can contribute to the success of your
project.

Warm regards,
Soumya Ranjan