From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
To: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
Cc: Ulrich Drepper via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: commit signing
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:03:17 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 2:07 PM Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How does this improve supply chain security if the signing happens
>> automagically rather than manually at points somebody actually
>> did extra verification?
>

> It works only automatically if you have ssh-agent (and/or gpg-agent)
> running.  I assume that's what developers do anyway because that's how they
> like push changes to sourceware.  If you don't have an agent you'll have to
> provide the signature of the signing key at the time of the commit.

This was the last message I sent and no further questions or comments
arrived.

Shall I prepare a small patch with an initial version of the key files
(with my key), perhaps a patch to the setup script Jonathan mentioned, and
a few words to be added to a README or similar file (which?)?

Initially this could be optional and we could gather data on the pickup and
only after an initial period switch to make the signing mandatory.