* prerequisites page
@ 2010-05-19  5:37 Todd Rinaldo
From: Todd Rinaldo @ 2010-05-19  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm writing to report a discrepancy in http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

I just discovered that if gmp is boot strapped during gcc build and an older m4 exists, when gmp calls flex, it will fail during configure with:

checking for flex... flex
checking lex output file root... configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up

I mention this because the prerequisites page specifies m4 as optional if you're just building gcc. m4 appears to have a minimal requirement if gmp is being boot strapped.

* m4 requirement (was: prerequisites page)
@ 2010-07-11  0:07 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2010-07-11  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Rinaldo; +Cc: gcc

Todd,

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> I'm writing to report a discrepancy in
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
>
> I just discovered that if gmp is boot strapped during gcc build and an
> older m4 exists, when gmp calls flex, it will fail during configure
> with:
>
> checking for flex... flex
> checking lex output file root... configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up
>
> I mention this because the prerequisites page specifies m4 as optional
> if you're just building gcc. m4 appears to have a minimal requirement if
> gmp is being boot strapped.

thanks for the report, Todd.  You mention m4, yet the output you show
is around flex?

I can update our documentation, but need more details and confirmation
by the respective GCC maintainers on what exactly to adjust.

Gerald

* Re: m4 requirement (was: prerequisites page)
@ 2010-07-13 23:04   ` Todd Rinaldo
From: Todd Rinaldo @ 2010-07-13 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:07 PM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Todd,
>
> On Wed, 19 May 2010, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>> I'm writing to report a discrepancy in
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
>>
>> I just discovered that if gmp is boot strapped during gcc build and an
>> older m4 exists, when gmp calls flex, it will fail during configure
>> with:
>>
>> checking for flex... flex
>> checking lex output file root... configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up
>>
>> I mention this because the prerequisites page specifies m4 as optional
>> if you're just building gcc. m4 appears to have a minimal requirement if
>> gmp is being boot strapped.
>
> thanks for the report, Todd.  You mention m4, yet the output you show
> is around flex?
>
> I can update our documentation, but need more details and confirmation
> by the respective GCC maintainers on what exactly to adjust.

Gerald, thanks for the reply. When it fell over, I dug into the config.log file and was able to determine that it was a bad m4 macro. I can try to re-produce it to get you more details, but it may take me a while to get to it. Do you want me to do this?

Thanks,
Todd

* Re: m4 requirement
@ 2010-07-14  1:55     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2010-07-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Rinaldo, Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

I think I've seen this one, it's something like this: GNU flex calls M4
when you run flex.  GMP disables M4 and runs flex; flex then tries to
run m4-not-used (or whatever it's called) instead of m4.