Sure, I include the relevant tree dumps obtained with the "releases/gcc-11" branch. The "patch_" variants represent the dumps after disabling the check on the internal flag (I include the patch for both "releases/gcc-11" and "master" branches). The pass under investigation is "evpr"; you can see how the if condition is removed and related BBs are merged if the range analysis provides what I think is an unexpected result. The optimized dump changes accordingly, but the troublesome transformation is the one performed by the gimple VRP. Giuseppe ________________________________ From: Jeff Law Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2023 5:11 PM To: Giuseppe Tagliavini ; gcc@gcc.gnu.org Subject: Re: Suspecting a wrong behavior in the value range propagation analysis for __builtin_clz On 11/1/23 05:29, Giuseppe Tagliavini via Gcc wrote: > I found an unexpected issue working with an experimental target (available here: https://github.com/EEESlab/tricore-gcc), but I was able to reproduce it on mainstream architectures. For the sake of clarity and reproducibility, I always refer to upstream code in the rest of the discussion. > > Consider this simple test: > > #include > int f(unsigned int a) { > unsigned int res = 8*sizeof(unsigned int) - __builtin_clz(a); > if(res>0) printf("test passed\n"); > return res-1; > } > > I tested this code on GCC 9 and GCC 11 branches, obtaining the expected result from GCC 9 and the wrong one from GCC 11. In GCC 11 and newer versions, the condition check is removed by a gimple-level optimization (I will provide details later), and the printf is always invoked at the assembly level with no branch. > > According to the GCC manual, __builtin_clz "returns the number of leading 0-bits in x, starting at the most significant bit position. If x is 0, the result is undefined." However, it is possible to define a CLZ_DEFINED_VALUE_AT_ZERO in the architecture backend to specify a defined behavior for this case. For instance, this has been done for SPARC and AARCH64 architectures. Compiling my test with SPARC GCC 13.2.0 with the -O3 flag on CompilerExplorer I got this assembly: > > .LC0: > .asciz "test" > f: > save %sp, -96, %sp > call __clzsi2, 0 > mov %i0, %o0 > mov %o0, %i0 > sethi %hi(.LC0), %o0 > call printf, 0 > or %o0, %lo(.LC0), %o0 > mov 31, %g1 > return %i7+8 > sub %g1, %o0, %o0 > > After some investigation, I found this optimization derives from the results of the value range propagation analysis: https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/gcc/gimple-range-op.cc#L917 > In this code, I do not understand why CLZ_DEFINED_VALUE_AT_ZERO is verified only if the function call is tagged as internal. A gimple call is tagged as internal at creation time only when there is no associated function declaration (see https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/gcc/gimple.cc#L371), which is not the case for the builtins. From my point of view, this condition prevents the computation of the correct upper bound for this case, resulting in a wrong result from the VRP analysis. > > Before considering this behavior as a bug, I prefer to ask the community to understand if there is any aspect I have missed in my reasoning. It would help if you included the debugging dumps. Jeff