* GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-20 12:49 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-01-20 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The branch status page:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/branch.html

shows that as of last reports, we still have boostrap failures on AIX,
ARM, and HPUX.

I'm looking at AIX issues today.  Benjamin, is there any progress on
the V3 issues?

Jeff Law is working on HPUX, and is close -- but is out of town this
weekend.

I think ARM is fixed, but I don't know.  Philip?

The bottom line is that we are not yet ready to branch; we're still
seeing bootstrap failures on two of the primary platforms.  If you
have spare cycles, please try to help with these platforms, or fix
other important bugs.

Thanks to Christian, Philip, and David who have all helped test, and
to many others that have offerred.

Yours,

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-21  1:16 ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2001-01-21  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

>I think ARM is fixed, but I don't know.  Philip?

I ran a bootstrap last night which failed in `make compare'.  This is further
than it was getting previously, so it looks like the recent breakage may be
fixed.  I've started another run now with `--disable-checking' to see if that
solves the comparison problems; I'll report back when it completes.

p.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-22 15:21               ` Rod Stewart
From: Rod Stewart @ 2001-01-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rod m. Stewart
  Cc: rearnsha, Philip Blundell, Mark Mitchell, gcc, Richard.Earnshaw

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Rod m. Stewart wrote:

> My bootstrap has passed the previous failure without any problem now
> (with and without the option: --enble-debug).  So it looks as if the
> problem is no longer there.  I'll send a message after both builds
> finish, but there should be no real problem.

OK, my build pretty much succeeded on armv[3,4]l-unknown-linux-gnu.  Well
there are problems with Java support.  The testsuite hangs under
i386-unknown-linux-gnu and armv*-unknown-linux-gnu.  As well I'm not
certain if the Java code will build under ARM GNU/Linux.  I sent one
little fix to gcc-patches, along with what looks like a libtool problem.

Aside from the Java problem ARM GNU/Linux seems OK, I might have to kick
the auto build a bit to work around Java, but that should not be hard.

-Rms

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-22 12:05             ` Rod m. Stewart
From: Rod m. Stewart @ 2001-01-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rearnsha; +Cc: Philip Blundell, Mark Mitchell, gcc, stewart, Richard.Earnshaw

@ 2001-01-22  7:44           ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2001-01-22  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rod m. Stewart
  Cc: rearnsha, Philip Blundell, Mark Mitchell, gcc, stewart, Richard.Earnshaw

@ 2001-01-22  7:34         ` Rod m. Stewart
From: Rod m. Stewart @ 2001-01-22  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rearnsha; +Cc: Philip Blundell, Mark Mitchell, gcc, stewart, Richard.Earnshaw

Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> I bootstrapped Friday's sources on my Netwinder without a problem; both
> with and without checking enabled.
>
> What I'm most concerned about is that the autobuild at NetWinder.org is
> still failing -- it seems to be showing all the hallmarks of using the
> pre-fixed copy of reload1.c.  Rod, can you check that it really is
> building from the latest sources?

No, it has the latest reload1.c from CVS.  It seems to be dying with the
following error (and looking back, has for a little while).  About the
only major difference I have is I was building with --enable-debug.
I'll start a build now without that and see how it goes (although it
will take about 10 hours to complete).

(My machine crashed over the weekend, so I'm just starting today's build
now.)

Here is the error I've been getting:

[build@feynman gcc]$ ./xgcc -B./
-B/usr/local/armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ -isystem
/usr/local/armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu/include  -S tmp-dum.c -v
Reading specs from ./specs
Configured with: /home/build-rpm/BUILD/gcc/configure --enable-debug
--prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --without-cvs
armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu
gcc version 2.97 20010118 (experimental)
 ./cc1 -lang-c -v -iprefix
./../lib/gcc-lib/armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu/2.97/ -isystem ./include
-isystem /usr/local/armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/include -D__GNUC__=2
-D__GNUC_MINOR__=97 -D__GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=0 -Dunix -Dlinux -D__ELF__
-D__unix__ -D__linux__ -D__ELF__ -D__unix -D__linux -Asystem=unix
-Asystem=posix -Acpu=arm -Amachine=arm -D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__
-D__STDC_HOSTED__=1 -D__ARM_ARCH_3__ -D__APCS_32__ -D__ARMEL__ -D__arm__
-isystem /usr/local/armv3l-unknown-linux-gnu/include tmp-dum.c -quiet
-dumpbase tmp-dum.c -version -o tmp-dum.s
xgcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html > for instructions.

-Rms

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-22  1:53       ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2001-01-22  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Blundell; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, gcc, stewart, Richard.Earnshaw

> >Hmm.  I don't know what to make of that at all.
> >
> >Can you make any  progress debugging it?
>
> Turns out it was a local screw-up.  I had an old, broken version of the linker
> sequestered in /usr/local/armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu/bin, and this was of course
> being picked up in preference to the (working) one in /usr/bin.  Anyway, I've
> fixed this now and the bootstrap completed successfully.  The tests are
> running now but they won't be done until tomorrow morning.

Bizzare.  I had exactly the same problem in reverse!  That is, my linker
in /usr/bin was segfaulting there, but the one I had sequestered away on
my own path was fine.  The results however, were similar -- my autobuild
scripts used to fail, while a manual 'gnumake bootstra' was working OK.

> The "can't bootstrap without --disable-checking" syndrome still bothers me a
> bit, but I'm completely baffled by that one.

I bootstrapped Friday's sources on my Netwinder without a problem; both
with and without checking enabled.

What I'm most concerned about is that the autobuild at NetWinder.org is
still failing -- it seems to be showing all the hallmarks of using the
pre-fixed copy of reload1.c.  Rod, can you check that it really is
building from the latest sources?

Richard.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-21 16:20       ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2001-01-21 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Blundell; +Cc: gcc

Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> writes:

> The "can't bootstrap without --disable-checking" syndrome still bothers me a
> bit, but I'm completely baffled by that one.

This probably means that there's a bug, but that --disable-checking
changes the code enough so that the bug is not triggered.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch Status
@ 2001-01-21 12:22     ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2001-01-21 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-01-21 10:45   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-01-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philb; +Cc: gcc

       [not found] <pb@tazenda.demon.co.uk>
@ 2001-01-21 10:38 ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2001-01-21 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

>I ran a bootstrap last night which failed in `make compare'.  This is further
>than it was getting previously, so it looks like the recent breakage may be
>fixed.  I've started another run now with `--disable-checking' to see if that
>solves the comparison problems; I'll report back when it completes.

Well, this is bizarre.  The bootstrap now passes `make compare' but blows up
here:

/home/pb/dev/gcc/objdir/gcc/xgcc -B/home/pb/dev/gcc/objdir/gcc/ -B/usr/local/armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/local/armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu/include -shared  .libs/limitsMEMBERS.o .libs/complex_io.o .libs/stdexcept.o .libs/bitset.o .libs/c++io.o .libs/ios.o .libs/strstream.o .libs/locale.o .libs/localename.o .libs/codecvt.o .libs/locale-inst.o .libs/stl-inst.o .libs/misc-inst.o .libs/valarray-inst.o .libs/string-inst.o -Wl,--whole-archive ../libmath/.libs/libmath.a ../libsupc++/.libs/libsupc++convenience.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -lm ../libmath/.libs/libmath.a -lm ../libsupc++/.libs/libsupc++convenience.a -lm -lm  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-soname -Wl,libstdc++.so.3 -o .libs/libstdc++.so.3.0.0
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault], core dumped
make[4]: *** [libstdc++.la] Error 1

If I repeat that command with -v added, then copy the collect2 invocation and
run it by hand, it completes successfully.  I don't know what's going on here.

(This is with binutils-2.10.1.0.2.)

p.