From: "Gareth Pearce" <tilps@hotmail.com>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: gcc 3.2's cpp breaks configure scripts
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:52:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> > > cpp is spitting out a warning about changing the search order of
>include
> > > directories, and this is breaking a _ton_ of configure scripts.  I
>found
> > > this when I started rebuilding Mandrake with gcc-3.2 branch.
>
>Gareth Pearce writes:
> > This, from what little i have seen, seems to be due to the fact that
>many
> > configure scripts segments are extremely overly picky.  They take any
>output
> > at all as to mean that its failed.  Really it should seem to me that
>they
> > should be looking for errors, or specific warnings rather then just
>anything
> > at all.
>
>Just the same, it's a lot to ask the distributors of GNU/Linux and BSD
>systems to fix every configure script in the world.

Indeed it would be, but prehaps this should be suggested to the autoconf
people for future versions?

>Maybe a workaround for the time being is to have a gcc option that
>suppresses this one warning; people can then write something like
>
>CC="gcc -Wno-check-include-order" ./configure ...
>
>to get around the problem.
>
>However, if this warning appears, it is likely that the programs in
>question won't build properly on OSes that ship bad C headers, that have
>to be fixed by fixincludes.  In that case, it may well be that the gcc
>command lines will wind up with something like -I/usr/include which means
>that the fixed headers will get bypassed.

Yes, would seem (to me at least) a database of where the fixincluded headers
came from would allow gcc to substitute them back in when you pass a -I like
that. (I dont see any significant performance issue, is there possibility
that people Really want to overide the fixincludes? - in which case there
could be a -fallow-fixincludes-overide?).
(Also, last time i checked gcc produces that warning for Any directories
which are considered internal, rather than Just the direectories where the
fixincluded headers came from! - I compile gcc with --prefix=$HOME on my OSF
alpha box since i dont have priviledges for /usr or /usr/local - and even
though, all the headers in my home directory are entirely from application
install, $HOME/include was the biggest cause of warnings i experienced. - I
havent compiled much with my latest gcc cvs version yet so maybe that has
changed.)

Idealy in my mind - autoconf would make configure scripts that Warn users if
such warnings turned up, but ignore them otherwise.

However, I am a humble user, my opinions are from a very limited sphere of
use.

Gareth