* Start of guide to writing optimizations for gcc
@ 2001-12-15 13:31 Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2001-12-15 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I put the start of a guide to writing optimizations for gcc at

http://www.dberlin.org/gccopt

I know it's currently trivial, but i only work on it during very spare
time.

It is not intended to be an intro for beginners to compiler optimization.
It is intended to describe to someone who understands compiler
optimizations, and works on other compilers, how to do things they want to
do, in gcc.

The docbook source for it is at
http://www.dberlin.org/gccopt/optimize.sgml (it's really an xml file,
however).

Feel free to write a few lines, or whatever, and send it to me. I'll
happily integrate it and add your name to the list of contributors.  If
you don't do docbook, that's okay, just send me the text, and i'll mark it
up for you.

While i'm happy to take contributions, please don't send me gripes or
complaints. I'm quite aware it sucks right now.  It's a start.
Contribute, and maybe it  won't suck anymore.
--Dan

* Re: Start of guide to writing optimizations for gcc
@ 2001-12-15 15:03 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-12-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I put the start of a guide to writing optimizations for gcc at
>
> http://www.dberlin.org/gccopt

Please add a link to this to readings.html, in the "GCC-specific
Literature" section at the top.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: Start of guide to writing optimizations for gcc
@ 2001-12-15 21:30 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2001-12-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I put the start of a guide to writing optimizations for gcc at
>
> http://www.dberlin.org/gccopt

How about doing this as part of the GCC project, i.e. as part of
gcc documentation?  If you think "well, maybe later", then later
you'd have problems getting assignments and whatnot. ... which
might be part of the reason you're not doing this as part of
GCC.  (That and docbook vs. texinfo.)  The copyright issue is of
course still there, but nobody will notice until it blows up
(perhaps when you want to publish it in paper format).  Then
again, IANAL and I'm not even the one of us studying law. :-)

brgds, H-P

* Re: Start of guide to writing optimizations for gcc
@ 2001-12-16 10:42   ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2001-12-16 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: gcc

On Sunday, December 16, 2001, at 12:09  AM, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>
>> I put the start of a guide to writing optimizations for gcc at
>>
>> http://www.dberlin.org/gccopt
>
> How about doing this as part of the GCC project, i.e. as part of
> gcc documentation?  If you think "well, maybe later", then later
> you'd have problems getting assignments and whatnot. ... which
> might be part of the reason you're not doing this as part of
> GCC.

Yup.
I'm more concerned with getting a good guide than getting copyright
assignments.
>  (That and docbook vs. texinfo.)
>   The copyright issue is of
> course still there, but nobody will notice until it blows up
> (perhaps when you want to publish it in paper format).

These problems generally rear their ugly head because somebody signs a
contract without getting it looked at by a lawyer first, making
assumptions as to the meaning of various terms, etc.
I've actually had books published before, and even then (I was 16 at the
time) I had the contracts they wanted me to sign looked over and changed
slightly by a lawyer.

>  Then
> again, IANAL and I'm not even the one of us studying law. :-)

:)